Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Own 2 computers, can only boot from 1

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    Own 2 computers, can only boot from 1

    I own two computers; a pent 200 mmx with 64 meg of ram, and a pent 2 with 320meg of ram. Both have cd rom drives. With the lack of sufficient ram to properly boot Knoppix on the 200 mmx I did a swapfile to dos, in which I was able to run Knoppix 4 and to check it out. It is a bit slow, however, I can navigate through most of the apps without falling to sleep!

    With the pent 2, its a different situation. Everytime I tried to boot up from the cd, everything goes fine until I receive this line... network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. and it just hangs there, and hangs there. No matter what key strokes I use, the cd will not eject, and in every case I had to restart the computer. I suspect a hardware confliction, though I do not know where the confliction it or how to rectify it. At the same time, the cd should be loading up onto the system's memory, so is it the ram that's the problem?

    As a newie who is activiely engaging in migrating to Linux, trying out the live distro cds, to me, is the way to go, without spending hundreds of dollars in trying out an os. I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions in resolving this.
    Thanks

    Sandgroper

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    It is very unlikely your RAM, if you want further confirmation it is not and you are running a recent version of Knoppix (not that old copy from the book), type memtest at the boot prompt.

    You can try booting and typing knoppix nodhcp at the prompt. You will not get an automatic network connection this way, but it will determine if that's the source of your problem and get you started. If that works see answer #3.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix for 64 bit computers.
    By ku637 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:26 AM
  2. Networking with Mac OS X computers
    By Kaldrenon in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
  3. New to computers and new to Linux
    By smileeb in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:48 AM
  4. Two computers, one ip, one port.
    By hernan in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:42 AM
  5. Computers have Architecture??
    By net_benjo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00