Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Remote Rebooting

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    Remote Rebooting

    Is it possible to reboot the Knoppix machine remotly? I've customized and started sshd / set passwords for myself and root.

    But when I /sbin/reboot I still get asked to "Remove the CD and press Enter", even when I use the noeject cheatcode.

    I am thinking of using Knoppix in a server, that I wont have direct access to. And this is one of the last things 'til I setup the Knoppix Server in a hosting facility...

    Any help would be grealy appreaciated,

    - Ambrose

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Remote Rebooting

    --What happens if you issue ' shutdown -r now '?

    --Alternatively, if you're in a daring mood you could just try ' init 6 '...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose
    Is it possible to reboot the Knoppix machine remotly? I've customized and started sshd / set passwords for myself and root.

    But when I /sbin/reboot I still get asked to "Remove the CD and press Enter", even when I use the noeject cheatcode.

    I am thinking of using Knoppix in a server, that I wont have direct access to. And this is one of the last things 'til I setup the Knoppix Server in a hosting facility...

    Any help would be grealy appreaciated,

    - Ambrose

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    I take it you havn't actually tired either of those. Erm, let me rephrase... I know for a fact that you havn't tried either of those with Knoppix.

    - Ambrose

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --No need to be condescending, I'm trying to help here.

    --What you can do then is go into /etc and grep for the "remove the CD" string (man grep), copy-down the file from CD into the knoppix /, and edit it so it doesn't ask for a PK (press-key.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose
    I take it you havn't actually tired either of those. Erm, let me rephrase... I know for a fact that you havn't tried either of those with Knoppix.

    - Ambrose

  5. #5

    Re: Remote Rebooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose
    Is it possible to reboot the Knoppix machine remotly? I've customized and started sshd / set passwords for myself and root.

    But when I /sbin/reboot I still get asked to "Remove the CD and press Enter", even when I use the noeject cheatcode.

    I am thinking of using Knoppix in a server, that I wont have direct access to. And this is one of the last things 'til I setup the Knoppix Server in a hosting facility...

    Any help would be grealy appreaciated,

    - Ambrose
    Maybe if you use the bootup cheatcode noeject (which doesn't eject the cd on shutdown) and save your boot configuration to floppy?

    I don't know... I haven't tried it... but it seems like the direction to head in.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    Bash

    Dave, would you care to elaborate on that?

    I've hard encoded in the init.d/knoppix-halt not to reboot, but I can't find what your talking about with the Press Key thing.

    Thanks,

    - Ambrose

Similar Threads

  1. Remote rescue over ssh
    By SynrG in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 03:27 PM
  2. ATI TV wonder pro w/remote
    By toxic_d in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 03:16 PM
  3. Memory problem when rebooting after using Knoppix on Dell
    By pmaccabe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
  4. Remote desktop
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM
  5. Restart kde without rebooting??
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00