I was having endless problems booting with the latest downloaded/burnt Knoppix 4.0 CD. After some Googling, etc, I eventually sorted out the problem.
The problem was the firmware in my Benq DW1640 CD/DVD Writer and ALL the problems (even hardware detection) were sorted out by doing a FIRMWARE UPDATE, strange as it may sound. Unfortunately I had to use WinXP to do the flashing![]()
Just for those who may be using the same drive and also experiencing problems![]()

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$56.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos
$97.60
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB
$24.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00