-
Cannot mount harddrive
I am new to Knoppix and I am trying to use it to recover files from a harddrive that will not boot. This harddrive uses XP Pro with a NTFS partition. Knoppix sees the two harddrives I have on the computer but it will not mount the second one. The message I receive is: "I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."
I was pumped because Knoppix at least recognized the drive. In XP the drive is recognized in BIOS and the Device Manager sees it as a harddrive, but I cannot assign it a drive letter or get to any files on it.
Any help or ideas on how to get my files back would be appreciated.
Thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
1.) start knoppix
2.) go in shell
3.) type "mount"
you will see the drives, which are mounted
Linux can't handle the NTFS-format very well, so you can only make the attributes to "read only"
4.) type in mount -ro /mnt/hda[x] ---> [x] stands for the number of the ntfs-partition
Similar Threads
-
By bagelfire in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
-
By markpelletier in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
-
By animnakambing in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-07-2005, 05:06 PM
-
By CyTG in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
-
By Isaacav2 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot
$199.95

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware
$649.00

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is
$170.00

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED
$219.99

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C
$140.00

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)
$69.99

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT
$7250.00