Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Elaboration Mounting Home directory to usb drive

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122

    Elaboration Mounting Home directory to usb drive

    I have been combing through the forum searching for a solution to this and I found a post that comes close to answering my questions but is more geared for a more specific problem (disk space in homedir) and seems to be geared to the more linux savvy than I ; I was wondering if any of the more experienced posters here would be willing to elaborate on this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22622 specifically how to mount the home directory in the first place and so that it will boot with the cheat code home=/mnt/uba1 and have the home directory mounted. I am assuming creating knoppix.img is an integral part of the process, if it is not please feel free to tell me

    I am a relative linux newb, I am running v3.8 of knoppix, I am trying to mount the home directory to a 128mb fat32 formatted thumbdrive, I am also curious as to how well mounting the home directory would work on a 64mb fat32 formatted thumbdrive

    If my question has already been answered in a newb friendly way on other threads, please post the url's here so that I can read them and reply about their helpfulness, thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    I found my own answer, I guess it should have occured to me to check the wiki, anyway, the answer was in the cheat code section of the knoppix wiki, and here it is:

    home=scan
    Set home directory. 'scan' will search for knoppix.img in the root of all partitions. To create a home directory, go K-menu -> Knoppix -> Configure -> Create persistant home directory. Be carefull when creating the home-dir, Do NOT use the entire partition unless you know what you are doing. Other options could be, home=/dev/hda1/knoppix.img home=/mnt/hda1/knoppix.img . If you are using a USB memory stick type home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img but home=scan will probably do.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2
    Hi im a linux newbie, i have set up the knoppix.img file on my usb drive. Now my question is:

    Will my settings be saved automatically as I make them or do I have to do this after I make all my changes?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    first time the changes wil NOT be saved to your /home/knoppix, (things like your mailacountsettings, desktopbackground...)
    but if you reboot everything should be saved just fine as you go.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2
    Ok, thanks. I will have to play with that for a while. For now I saved my configuration to my USB drive.

    Is there any big advantage to creating a persistent home directory vice just saving the configuration? Would you recomend that I save the home dir to a hard drive or will my USB drive be sufficient?

Similar Threads

  1. if you have a home directory and you have issues mounting
    By maestrobwh1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 02:51 AM
  3. Multi-drive mounting... what directory do most use?
    By defiance in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. Cannot Create persistent home directory on USB Thumb drive
    By jessjackson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW) picture

Intel Core i7-14700K Processor (BRAND NEW)

$330.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00