-
Just Found Knoppix
I just found Knoppix last night, and it looks real good, but I have never touched any version of Linux before, and have not seen much more then screen shots. As you can guess I am pretty stupid at this point in this subject.
I have been searching around a bit, but have yet to find any large colletion of infomation about Knoppix. Are there any sites with large amounts of info for n00bs?
Maybe a "starter guide" type thing.
Thanks a lot
-
The Docs link at the top of this page has a wealth of info.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Just Found Knoppix

Originally Posted by
PhaseDMA
I just found Knoppix last night, and it looks real good, but I have never touched any version of Linux before, and have not seen much more then screen shots. As you can guess I am pretty stupid at this point in this subject.
I have been searching around a bit, but have yet to find any large colletion of infomation about Knoppix. Are there any sites with large amounts of info for n00bs?
Maybe a "starter guide" type thing.
Thanks a lot
You might try newbie doc and try reading or searching the debian-user news group. Also google with the search linux newbie debian should give you about 73,000 results to start from.
-
Don't read anything !
Don't read anything. Knoppix is for dummies.
Just start using it. All you need to know is how to configure a network card (if you don't have DHCP).
I prepared several exercises for my students but they are in Polish.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, you're a teacher too? I'm curious what you use knoppix for.
Regards,
-
Junior Member
registered user
welcome to knoppix's forum phasedma... if you learn anything let me know what you learned
like how to install modem drivers on a read only file system........
-
I too have recently discovered knoppix, about 6-8 weeks ago. Being a windoze user since windoze 3.11, i have been looking for a stable and secure operating system so i have turned to linux, slowly phasing out much of the windoze use. This year i downloaded mandrake 9.0, and since then, my knowledge of linux is growing.
But to answer your question, is knoppix best for you, the only answer i can give you is YES. The reason i say this, is that you already know that knoppix runs completely in memory so you are able to use and familiarize yourself with it, and should anything of a serious nature arise, or you need to do is hit the power off button. No damage to your other operating system or hardware.
Its the ease of use which makes it so right for everyone to use, if you don't like it, just pull out the cd and not use it again. Not hours of installing and configuring a operating system to a hard drive, getting everything right for a problem to leave you stranded and frustrated.
-
Sorry, Disregard that post, not the post i wanted to reply to.
to many windows opened i think
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
insomica
welcome to knoppix's forum phasedma... if you learn anything let me know what you learned
like how to install modem drivers on a read only file system........
Of course you cannot use 'install'(under linux) to knoppix running on a ram which is read only. But the workaround is to use script .See my posthttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2182
-
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm starting to learn heh.
BTW it was a life saver the other day when I loaded the OS (with games) on a work pc for my 12 year old brother.
Similar Threads
-
By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
-
By GFBurke in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
-
By sunpascal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 06:50 AM
-
By jaykay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
-
By schock in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99

Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray
$14.95

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99