The Docs link at the top of this page has a wealth of info.
I just found Knoppix last night, and it looks real good, but I have never touched any version of Linux before, and have not seen much more then screen shots. As you can guess I am pretty stupid at this point in this subject.
I have been searching around a bit, but have yet to find any large colletion of infomation about Knoppix. Are there any sites with large amounts of info for n00bs?
Maybe a "starter guide" type thing.
Thanks a lot
The Docs link at the top of this page has a wealth of info.
You might try newbie doc and try reading or searching the debian-user news group. Also google with the search linux newbie debian should give you about 73,000 results to start from.Originally Posted by PhaseDMA
Don't read anything. Knoppix is for dummies.
Just start using it. All you need to know is how to configure a network card (if you don't have DHCP).
I prepared several exercises for my students but they are in Polish.
Oh, you're a teacher too? I'm curious what you use knoppix for.
Regards,
welcome to knoppix's forum phasedma... if you learn anything let me know what you learned![]()
like how to install modem drivers on a read only file system........
I too have recently discovered knoppix, about 6-8 weeks ago. Being a windoze user since windoze 3.11, i have been looking for a stable and secure operating system so i have turned to linux, slowly phasing out much of the windoze use. This year i downloaded mandrake 9.0, and since then, my knowledge of linux is growing.
But to answer your question, is knoppix best for you, the only answer i can give you is YES. The reason i say this, is that you already know that knoppix runs completely in memory so you are able to use and familiarize yourself with it, and should anything of a serious nature arise, or you need to do is hit the power off button. No damage to your other operating system or hardware.
Its the ease of use which makes it so right for everyone to use, if you don't like it, just pull out the cd and not use it again. Not hours of installing and configuring a operating system to a hard drive, getting everything right for a problem to leave you stranded and frustrated.
Sorry, Disregard that post, not the post i wanted to reply to.
to many windows opened i think
Of course you cannot use 'install'(under linux) to knoppix running on a ram which is read only. But the workaround is to use script .See my posthttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2182Originally Posted by insomica
![]()
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm starting to learn heh.
BTW it was a life saver the other day when I loaded the OS (with games) on a work pc for my 12 year old brother.

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$84.00
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
$69.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640
$54.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99