Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Trouble with USB Drive (Persistent Homedir Creation froze)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9

    Trouble with USB Drive (Persistent Homedir Creation froze)

    Hello again,

    I finally got my hands on a USB Drive, and figured I'd create a persistent homedir for knoppix. So, I loaded knoppix, got it working, and started up the persistent homedir wizard. I got to the point where it began to make the homedir... It went up to about 96%, then froze. I waited for about half an hour, then decided to take out the drive. When I rebooted, I couldn't load from the USB drive, so I loaded from knoppix. However, I couldn't mount the drive. When I tried, it said: "error: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified). So, I tried booting into Windows and reformatting the drive. Got an error there, too... It said something to the extent of: "Could not format the drive, error in ioctl call", nor could I access the drive with windows...

    So, now I have an inaccessable USB Drive, and am trying to format it or change it so that I am able to access it in some way. From what I understand, it was formatted into a RAW partition, which is why I can't access it now. Is there something in Knoppix or a program in Windows I could use to fix this?

    Thanks,
    illu45

    EDIT: Tried making a new partition table on the USB Drive with Qtparted... It says: "It Was Not Possible To Make a New Partition Table"

  2. #2
    Have you tried using Windows Disk Manager? Just Right-Click on the "My Computer" icon and select manage. From there go to the disks and select you USB pen and try to format it from there. Hopefully it'll work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    Trouble with USB Drive (Persistent Homedir Creation froze)

    These drives can be strange beasts as there are several _standards_ (oxymoron!) to the information contained in the boot sector.

    I find it best to just clean and repartition any drive I purchase before use. This of course can be a problem, as you have learned, as some partition editors will just not understand what they are dealing with. Don't forget that you need to be _root_ in order to save any changes from a GNU/Linux system and just keep trying different editors (from any os) until you find one that works with your drive.

Similar Threads

  1. 5.3.1 with bootfrom can't mount persistent homedir
    By NorthKnopUser in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
  2. Trouble with persistent Home
    By themightydebo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 06:04 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 12:51 AM
  4. Using persistent homedir on MS created on 3.6 with 3.8
    By jannetta in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
  5. persistent store creation freezes at 96%
    By jaschoon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99