regnu_me1010,

Well, in the USA, at least in "small town" USA, it is more like, people dont have a clue that an "alternate" Operating System even exists. "Linux? Whats that? Does it run under Windows?" is a usual response.

As for the "Geek" aspect, doesnt come into play, especially, when who you are talking to, doesnt have a clue what Windows really is, in the first place. Here is a sample:

"I'm having virus problems with my system again. Had to reinstall Windows for the third time."

I dont have to worry about that, I run Linux.

"Linux? Whats that? A virus scanner?"

No, its an alternate OS, only it is more stable, more secure, and doesnt have all those virus, trojan, and patches, that Windows has.

"I dont have a clue what you are talking about, from the point of 'OS' in your last statement. I just run what came installed on my system."

Not much "impressing" someone, when they dont even have a clue what they are running, why, and that other options DO exist. They just dont care, and the worst thing is, they are willing to "bend over" multiple times for Mr. Gates, instead of looking for alternatives to there problems.

As for "Linux" being a "Chick magnet" (???) Not quite sure bout this one, being a "Chick" myself, but it could have "mass-appeal" simply because it has a "cute and friendly penguin" for its mascott (???)

Windows decided on the "Window" thing image, which, either means, they knew it would keep breaking, or, that, sooner or later, someone would get wise to them, and thats where there OS would be flying out of, box and all (???)

This could be another reason why "Windows" 's image has four different colors, each pane has broken, and, when each of the four "panes" was replaced, they had to use a different color. At least Microsoft went with a "varied" take on the "window" icon, when they designed "Back Office", they used the multi-colored image again, but decided to use interconnecting "links", hopefully, I would think, to show "connectivity" of packages, or programs. But, as time goes by, I think the multi-colored links icon for Back Office has only shown, that, this, connectivity, has only lent itself to having a virus or trojan infest and "connect" to more things in your system.

I have said this before, and, I think it is more "true" now, then ever before... Linux is for "intelectuals" ( people who know what they have, and know what they run ), whereas, Windows is simple, plain, mass-used, has been around since man created the wheel, and pretty much runs like that, but, mostly, it doesnt take ANY brains to run it, mostly. It ALSO comes installed on practically every machine that is purchased, made, or bought.

So, being a "rebel" has its advantages...
Ms. Cuddles