-
I'm having the same problem that gfrick was having...
Hello everyone, I, too, am getting the same error message upon trying to play any type of audio file - that no device exists at /dev/dsp
I am not as "Linux savvy" as gfrick; I have been running windows 98 SE for quite a while, and know most of the ways to manipulate drivers and such, but I'm brand new to linux, running knoppix 3.7 off of a bootable cd.
The spec's on my audio hardware and computer are:
Computer: Gateway Solo 2500 (laptop)
Audio hardware: Neomagic Magicwave 3dx Sound System
I've already attempted to find drivers (does linux use drivers the same way that windows does?), to no avail. I've also tried the ALSA (knoppix alsa) from the boot, as gfrick was instructed to do in this topic; during the boot-up sequence, it prints out that ALSA is detecting the soundcard (autodetect), but once KDE is up and running, I have an error message waiting for me, which says that no device exists at /dev/dsp, and the icon in the "taskbar" (may be called something diff. under linux) of the speaker has a big red circle with an "x" through it, covering the speaker icon.
I have also tried running sndconfig from the console, as well as running it from the knoppix configure menu - in both cases, I get the message: "No PnP or PCI sound cards were found in your system..."
I read that gfrick somehow figured out a way to fix this, by upgrading to "Test" - unfortunately, I have no idea what that means. So, if someone has any suggestions on what I might do to fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.
Thanks very much.
Similar Threads
-
By Ender in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-05-2005, 11:12 PM
-
By empro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
-
By durty_nacho in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
-
By RoZ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-05-2004, 11:19 AM
-
By meranto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-09-2003, 05:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate 2.5" Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 2F110A-500
$19.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59