-
Need help with Network Card to connect to Internet...
Hello,
I have been working with DOS, Windows 3.1 to XP, for many years setting up Novell Networks. I have set up PC's to use just about all types connections to Internet over the years. Using windows for example, once I get the netcard to be error free and Windows shows no problems (sometimes the card drivers are needed), I set protocol for that card (IPX/SPX and TCP/IP), then under networking set up the IP address, netmask, gateway, etc.
Then using Internet Explorer, I'm on the net.
Now, the Network I am using is Novell. But, you can log out of Novell and still get on Internet. Both use same NetCard to get to our switch which is where the Internet feed is tied in. We have a particial T1 (256K bandwidth).
I am runnig Knoppix 4.0.2 on a DELL optiplex GX240, 256k Ram. It has onboard netcard and I have tried several other PCI cards as well. (It is a good burn, I had burned several CD's before and upon boot, had Cloop errors. So, I downloaded at home over DSL which was much faster and then burned the CD image and all is well. Note: download speed makes a defference on the ISO image quality at least it did with me. I used the same mirror to download from. could be a lot of different points here but the faster it downloads the less exposure to all those little things if you get my meaning). (also used Nero to burn the good CD).
I have also tried Ubuntu and have same problems
Currently a 3 Com card that works in other Windows PC's. So, at least I know the card does work.
When I set up the card Knoppix menus I say no to DHCP (don't have it) and put in all other info. IP, Netmask, etc.
It always says "UNREACHABLE"
In console I type LSPCI -V and it shows eth1 has the 3Com information. So, I think Knoppix sees the card.
In console I type Ifconfig -a and it shows Inet and Inet6. That appears to me it has the right protocol (INET = TCP/IP)
I cannot ping my gateway.
I did download drivers for the card and put on floppy, but don't know if I need them and if I do, I can't seem to get to files on the disk. I see folders, but no files. ???
So, I hope there is enough info. here to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help.
It just seems I am missing some little point here and can't seem to find it.
Similar Threads
-
By newbie36 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
-
By solbergg in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
-
By ichi in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
-
By gill1109 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
-
By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro
$179.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM
$17.99

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718
$22.00

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter
$34.99