Thanx for all your help! Don't sweat it if you can't figure out my problem. Its really the Mrs that uses this box and camera combo in WimpDoze. I use my Dell GX270 PIV cluster at school. Anyway, I've gotten SO MUCH out of using KNOPPIX and you guys have HELPED ME SO MUCH over the years, that this is just one minor blip on the radar screen as far as I'm concerned! I'm such a KNOPPIX maven now that if I can't get the camera to work with KNOPPIX, I just won't use it, that's all.... I just won't touch WimpDoze anymore. Any time I do, its such a headache!

OK, I have KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD installed to hda2 (dual boot as the better half must use WIMxP). The box is a Dell Dimension 4100 PIII 866Mhz with 128MB RAM and 20GB hdd and an 8x cdr drive. Could this be like a winModem problem? In other words, my USB hardware is designed to work only with WimpDoze?

Code:
lspci -vvv > temp.txt
returns:

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Region 0: Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [88] #09 [f104]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
Status: RQ=32 Iso- ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA+ ITACoh- GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW- AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
Command: RQ=1 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82815 815 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 0000f000-00000fff
Memory behind bridge: fc900000-fe9fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0600000-f46fffff
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
Memory behind bridge: fea00000-feafffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f4700000-f47fffff
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR+ NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0

0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801BA IDE U100 (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4541
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Region 4: I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]

0000:00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4541
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 10
Region 4: I/O ports at ef80 [size=32]

0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM SMBus (rev 02)
Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4541
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 9
Region 4: I/O ports at efa0 [size=16]

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0001
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at f2000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Expansion ROM at fe9f0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 1
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
Status: RQ=32 Iso- ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- ITACoh- GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW- AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

0000:02:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 7
Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64 (2500ns min, 2500ns max), Cache Line Size: 0x08 (32 bytes)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
Region 0: I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
Region 1: Memory at feaffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
Expansion ROM at feac0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)
Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=2 PME-

0000:02:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 09)
Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI64V, AudioPCI128
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort+ <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64 (3000ns min, 32000ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
Region 0: I/O ports at df00 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-

HTH,
AJG