Hi there!
I have a slighly outdated version of knoppix installed on a very old laptop. I moved into a new office, and so I have to use this laptop for work now, and I'm trying to tweak the performance. I'm not new to linux, I already have the hdparm parameters set correctly, and I'm using icewm as a window manager (could I gain much by using another one?)
I think one main point of performance is the antialising of fonts, which looks pretty nice, but I don't really need it. Though I used to _enable_ it quite a few times in the past, I seem to be unable to disable it now. Can anybody tell me how to do it? I already disabled loading of the modules "freetype" and "type1" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but that didn't change anything. So, could anyone help me out?
Slightly related, the graphics card is a Neomagic NM2200, so X uses the "neomagic" driver. Is there a better one? I'd guess not, but I figured I'd ask just in case
Also, if anybody has any other tuning tips, I'd gladly try them.
Any help is appreciatedCheers
Philipp

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse
$995.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk
$39.99
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99
Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00