Hi there!
I have a slighly outdated version of knoppix installed on a very old laptop. I moved into a new office, and so I have to use this laptop for work now, and I'm trying to tweak the performance. I'm not new to linux, I already have the hdparm parameters set correctly, and I'm using icewm as a window manager (could I gain much by using another one?)
I think one main point of performance is the antialising of fonts, which looks pretty nice, but I don't really need it. Though I used to _enable_ it quite a few times in the past, I seem to be unable to disable it now. Can anybody tell me how to do it? I already disabled loading of the modules "freetype" and "type1" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but that didn't change anything. So, could anyone help me out?
Slightly related, the graphics card is a Neomagic NM2200, so X uses the "neomagic" driver. Is there a better one? I'd guess not, but I figured I'd ask just in case
Also, if anybody has any other tuning tips, I'd gladly try them.
Any help is appreciatedCheers
Philipp

Original Apple Mouse IIc Box Only Vintage 1985
$40.00
Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW
$1000.00
Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete
$249.95
NEW* AMD Athlon 2.5GHz 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$349.00
Vintage Tandy 1000 "Personal Computer"Keyboard
$75.00
Dell Inspiron 1100 Vintage Laptop 2.29 GHz RAM, 256MB Bundle
$129.95
Vintage 1980’s Apple Macintosh Laptop Carrying Case, Rainbow Logo, NEW
$129.95
Vintage DB25 4 Port Data Transfer Switch Box 25 Pin Computer Printer with Cables
$49.99
Zilog Z8000 CPU Programmer's Reference Guide April 1981 Vintage Tech Manual Rare
$48.66
Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99