-
I'm having trouble connecting to the internet
For the past month or so, after reading an article that suggests that if you want to start programming (which I do) then you should get a Unix or Linux based OS because Windows is closed source. So today I got a Knoppix 4.0.2 CD that I can pop into my Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook and boot it from the disk.
Here's my problem; I cannot connect to the internet (right now I'm on Windows writting this message), my system isn't reconizing my internet connection, which is a linksys router. I snooped around the Networking/Internet applications and found the program called "KWiFiManager" which I think is what I need to connect to my router. So I clicked on it and it says the following in the window...
KWiFiManager
Connected to: linksys
Access Point: 00:0F:66:C1:F6:06
Local IP: 192.168.1.100
Frequency [channel]: 2.462 [11]
Encryption: Off
However, it was not connected. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to be able to connect to the internet?
Thank you,
~Taylor
-
Senior Member
registered user
hmm, that "should" let you get online. hmm, do you really have an open network without key?
not safest of options.
what does and
give?
what do you get when you try pinging 64.233.187.99 (google.com)?
Code:
sudo ping 64.233.187.99
can you ping
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (one of them should be your router)?
-
I have no clue what you just said. I'm new to linux and routers aren't my speciality.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You would be wise to educate yourself a little. Running a wireless router without encryption turned on is a very very bad idea for many reasons and can cause anything from idenity theft to RIAA lawsuits. Even if you live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood, this is an issue. Beyond that the stuff in boxes was commands to try, in order to get more information so that we can help you. Open a "command shell" and type the given commands; note the responses and tell us what they were.
-
Senior Member
registered user
sorry. my bad.
thoise where comands to issue in a shell (comand prompt in Win speak), linux have many slightly different but mainly they do the same, among them are; Konsole, Xterm, aterm...
in this case it is that little icon near the bottom with <_ (or was it >_ ) on the "screen".
you can save the output to a file on a floppy if you wish. just put
>/mnt/floppy/filename.txt on end of each line (filenamne is replaced with comandname) like this.
Code:
sudo ifconfig>/mnt/floppy/ifconfig.txt
just remember to mount the floppy first by klicking the icon. before you remove the floppy it is wise to unmount it by rightklicking and klicking unmount in the menu that appears (or just shut computer down that should unmount floppy safely).
Similar Threads
-
By tangent in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
-
By Rivenx in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-06-2006, 05:42 AM
-
By SwirlingVenom in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2005, 11:22 AM
-
By HornyToad in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
-
By wikid009 in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK
$334.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$1450.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80