Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I'm having trouble connecting to the internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Caledonia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2

    I'm having trouble connecting to the internet

    For the past month or so, after reading an article that suggests that if you want to start programming (which I do) then you should get a Unix or Linux based OS because Windows is closed source. So today I got a Knoppix 4.0.2 CD that I can pop into my Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook and boot it from the disk.

    Here's my problem; I cannot connect to the internet (right now I'm on Windows writting this message), my system isn't reconizing my internet connection, which is a linksys router. I snooped around the Networking/Internet applications and found the program called "KWiFiManager" which I think is what I need to connect to my router. So I clicked on it and it says the following in the window...

    KWiFiManager
    Connected to: linksys
    Access Point: 00:0F:66:C1:F6:06
    Local IP: 192.168.1.100
    Frequency [channel]: 2.462 [11]
    Encryption: Off

    However, it was not connected. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to be able to connect to the internet?

    Thank you,
    ~Taylor

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    hmm, that "should" let you get online. hmm, do you really have an open network without key?
    not safest of options.
    what does
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    and
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    give?
    what do you get when you try pinging 64.233.187.99 (google.com)?
    Code:
    sudo ping 64.233.187.99
    can you ping
    192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (one of them should be your router)?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Caledonia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2
    I have no clue what you just said. I'm new to linux and routers aren't my speciality.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You would be wise to educate yourself a little. Running a wireless router without encryption turned on is a very very bad idea for many reasons and can cause anything from idenity theft to RIAA lawsuits. Even if you live in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood, this is an issue. Beyond that the stuff in boxes was commands to try, in order to get more information so that we can help you. Open a "command shell" and type the given commands; note the responses and tell us what they were.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sorry. my bad.
    thoise where comands to issue in a shell (comand prompt in Win speak), linux have many slightly different but mainly they do the same, among them are; Konsole, Xterm, aterm...
    in this case it is that little icon near the bottom with <_ (or was it >_ ) on the "screen".
    you can save the output to a file on a floppy if you wish. just put
    >/mnt/floppy/filename.txt on end of each line (filenamne is replaced with comandname) like this.
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig>/mnt/floppy/ifconfig.txt
    just remember to mount the floppy first by klicking the icon. before you remove the floppy it is wise to unmount it by rightklicking and klicking unmount in the menu that appears (or just shut computer down that should unmount floppy safely).

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting to Internet
    By tangent in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
  2. Trouble connecting using Aztech Turbo DSL 100U
    By Rivenx in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 05:42 AM
  3. Trouble connecting to the internet while using failsafe
    By SwirlingVenom in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 11:22 AM
  4. Connecting to the Internet
    By HornyToad in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
  5. Connecting to the internet
    By wikid009 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00