Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix CD boots, and stops at "Starting X-Window...&qu

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix CD boots, and stops at "Starting X-Window...&qu

    Hi there... I'm a recent WindowsXP user. I was using Won2k and buyed a new HP a737n computer with WinXP Home preinstalled. The thing is that after some months using it the windows configuration crashed and I need to reinstall from scratch.

    But, I want to back up some files befoer formatting or whatever.

    The thing is that I wanted to doit using the Knoppix Linux CD, and I downloaded an image, burned in a CD and tested in a KMD processor pc and later in the damaged HP computer.

    At the begining, the cd booted normally, I supouse..., first a splash screen, later a penguin and some lines telling what was going on while the CD was running, like the detecting of all the hardware installed, etc.

    But when the CD reachs the "Starting X-Window...", the screen goes blank and the monitor goes in sleep mode.

    And thats all..... I don't know much about Linux, but this is what is happening. I need to boot from this linux cd in order to access my files, make the back up and continue with tha rescue of the system or reformat the hard drive.

    Thanks for any help you provide.

    PS I saw something about some cheat codes, but don't know where to type it or when... they are supossed to be at the "boot:" prompt? or after the boot process?
    Thanks again...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as UnderScore say here
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...023&highlight=
    Do you see a splash screen at all? It should look something like:
    when you see that you type the cheatcodes.
    the person on that topic has similar problem by the way.
    the original posting has an image that wil enlarge with a mouseklick.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2

    Thanks

    Thank you, i was able to boot knoppix this way, I didn't find that topic before posting. Bye.

Similar Threads

  1. "Starting the X Window System..."
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM
  2. Starting Knoppix "fromhd" but without the disk
    By fergus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 05:32 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 07:21 PM
  4. network stops after starting browser in 3.6
    By fboecom in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
  5. HOWTO: Change the "Startpage" when knoppix boots
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM picture

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB) picture

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB)

$180.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00