Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: alsa orphans...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19

    alsa orphans...

    I was looking into updating my alsa sound libraries to 64 bit. I started with adding two modules since I am running a AMD Sempron CPU. After going through the install in Kpackage Package manager. Both these modules are showing a question mark next to them since they probably depend on a 64 bit kernel.

    1) alsa-modules-2.4-k7
    2) alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7

    I never did install the kernel and I would like to get rid of these modules along with some other orphans. The problem is that when I try to remove them I get the message:

    <pt-get remove --yes -s alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7 ;echo RESULT=$?
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    alsa-modules-2.4-k7: Depends: alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    RESULT=100

    I receive the same message on both modules. The apt-get -f option did not help. It looks like it wants me to install the new 64 bit kernel first. It also won't let me remove some other unrelated orphans.

    My question is...Is there another way of removing these modules so that I can get back to normal?

    I am runnin Debian Linux that was install from Knoppix..multi user version 2.6.12. I am new at Linux but I have been doing a lot of reading and testing. I would appreciate any help on this item.

    Thank you in advance.
    Chip[/b]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    1) alsa-modules-2.4-k7
    2) alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-k7
    That 2.4-k7 or 2.4.27 indicates it is for a 2.4.x kernel series. You indicate that you are running 2.6.12 a 2.6.x kernel. You simply can not install & use a 2.4.x alsa with a 2.6.x kernel. It will not work. It would be like trying to use a sound driver designed for window 98 and getting it to work on windows 2003 server. It will not work.

    You are asking for much headache or stress by installing a Knoppix (a Debian derived variant) as a HD based Debian-like machine. Then you are asking for further stress by trying to upgrade it to a 64 bit machine by upgrading the kernel & its libs. You should just install Debian amd64 CDs via http http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/un...-amd64/iso-cd/ or bittorrent http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/un...e-amd64/bt-cd/

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19

    Understood... It was a mistake.

    I understand the problem with different kernels. Ths apt-get update was a mistake. I am just trying to recover from this. As I said the system will not let me remove the two alsa k7 modules. I there any way I can remove them. In the K package module manager both k7 modules have a question mark by them. As you can see from the message I received above, it won't let me remove them. All I want to do is remove both modules. Again, I realized I made a mistake when I tried to install them. I was prompted twice during the install of the modules. I backed out of the second prompt, which I though would not install them. They look like their in Limbo!

    Again, any suggestions on getting rid of these 2 modules.

    Thanks again,
    Chip

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Did you try the command line "-f" to force it to do it. If that fails, then you may have to look into the dpkg command even hand-hack the installed package list database.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19

    Success!

    I want to thank you UnderScore. I had tried the "-f" option before which didn't work. I then tried your suggestion using the dpkg command. It worked like a charm. I was then able to remove my other orphans with the deborphan command.

    Again I thank you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Cool. I'm glad it worked.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 04:00 AM
  2. no /dev/midi using ALSA
    By dmitry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
  3. alsa 1.0.6
    By Dextro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  5. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI picture

Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI

$1100.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED picture

M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED

$289.00



192GB 6x 32GB Samsung DDR4 Reg ECC PC4-2400T Cisco picture

192GB 6x 32GB Samsung DDR4 Reg ECC PC4-2400T Cisco

$1049.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage. picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.

$3.99