-
DVD locks on Boot
I downloaded ISO of 4.? DVD using bittorrent. The checksum shows good. I burned it twice , second time at slowest speed possible. When I boot from DVD (Win 2000 Pro)I see the littel penguin, then the screen says "checking for for USB" (yes two for's) and it just hangs there.
Any help would be appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You might try reading the wiki on cheat codes. An obvious cheat code to try would be nousb. While you likely will want USB to work, this might help determine if USB is really the source of the problem. Another good canidate would be acpi=off or noacpi. Also setpping through an expert mode boot and seeing exactly where the hang happens and changing your answer to the question right before the hang can help locate problems too.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix boots with a splash screen.

At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certan things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes. You should try:
knoppix nousb
-
Thanks I will try it. But, I forgot to mention that it boots OK with the CD (vs DVD). Does this mean USB is not the issue?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
rocksonrocks
Thanks I will try it. But, I forgot to mention that it boots OK with the CD (vs DVD). Does this mean USB is not the issue?
This sounds very much like a bad burn (or marginal hardware), as the OS on both CD and DVD should be the same.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
The CD is a different version (3.??). It doesn't seem to show this message ("checking for for USB")ever, unless it's too fast for me to see. I tried to burn the DVD slowest possible. I'll try different media or maybe an older DVD version.
Thanks,
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
rocksonrocks
The CD is a different version (3.??)....
Well that changes everything, doesn't it? I even thought about asking about this, but figured it would be condescending to ask, I didn't think you would have made the above statement about the CD booting and not bother to mention a version difference if there was one. Back to my original advice. Or download the CD version of 4.0.2 and try it. It's always handy to have a CD version available, since you may need it for a system recovery on a system that has no DVD. I use the DVD on my notebook, but carry the CD in my set of emergency discs. No need to make a CD every single release, but there is enough new in 4.0.2 to merit doing it. (Your present experience indicates it might be wise to carry both versions.)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
rocksonrocks
I'll try different media or maybe an older DVD version.
The only other official downloadable DVD version is 4.0.1, very close to 4.0.2 but with known bugs. Don't bother with it.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By y2khardtop in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
-
By black_out in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
-
By raydance in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:40 PM
-
By alex+ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
-
By alex+ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99

Samsung 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 3200 ECC RDIMM Server RAM M393A4K40EB3
$2000.00

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched
$149.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
![[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture](/store/img/g/IKQAAeSwEK9qv9TG/s-l225/-BULK-LOT-OF-10-UNITS-of-8GB-DDR4-Laptop-RAM-SAMSU.jpg)
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$155.19

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99

G.SKILL RIPJAWS 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3L-1600 PC3L-12800 F3-1600C9D-16GRSL CL9-9-9-28
$45.86