Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Wireless but no Internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5

    Wireless but no Internet

    Hi I'm brand new to Knoppix and Linux. I have a dell latitude x300 laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A wireless. I am running Knoppix 4.0.2 from my hardrive. I downloaded the driverloader from linuxant to get my wireless working. When I run kwifimanager it tells me that the network card is running fine and has connected to my local wireless network. However when I try to connect to the Internet the browser times out.

    Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Sorry I just saw this posting http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23067 which is pretty much the same problem as I'm having.

    I followed OErjan's post #sudo ifcong eth2 which gives:

    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:23:86:1B:69
    inet addr: 192.168.0.3 Bcast: 192.168.0.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::204:23ff:fe86:1b69/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:81 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1763 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:16381 TX bytes:175614

    and #sudo iwconfig eth2 which gives:

    IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"hamilton" Nickname:"unknown"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:09:5B:FE:44:9C
    Bit Rate=11Mb/s
    RTS thr=1600 B Fragment thr=2344 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=6/94 Signal level=-71 dBm Noise level=-154 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    When I ping google.com, there's nothing much happening.

    Can anyone give me some direction?

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    hmm, did you ping the google ip OR the name google.com?
    have you tried to ping your router? 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.0.254 or perhaps even a third.)
    did that give any result?
    you have a IP and things look ok.
    are you certain there is NO key?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    I pinged the router and I'm getting a reply. When I ping the google IP I get nothing, it just seems to time out. I think the problem may actually lie with the wireless network and not the computer.

    I also rebooted the computer in windoze xp from another partition and repeated the above process. Router replies, google IP times out. It must be a network problem.

    Would you agree?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by paws
    I pinged the router and I'm getting a reply. When I ping the google IP I get nothing, i
    Google IP is a very cryptic term, particularly for Google, who resolves domain to IP based on country of origin. If you mean 64.233.161.147 then say so. I would suggest not using Google in this test though.

    You do mean what you said, the Google IP and not the Google URL, right?

    If you can get a ping the router then you apparently have the wireless connection working. You may have some sort of MAC filter enabled that is causing problems. Can you log into the router by http (at the same IP address that you pinged)?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    I have it up and working now. I just needed to power cycle the wireless router.

    Thanks a million for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless yes, Internet no
    By blwilk in forum Networking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 03:35 AM
  3. Wireless Internet on start up
    By Ryan450 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:46 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. Wireless Internet (Using A USB Card)
    By AngelicToy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Two Macintosh Platinum Mouse/Mice - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus M0100 - NEW picture

Two Macintosh Platinum Mouse/Mice - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus M0100 - NEW

$99.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99