Would this pseudo AOL work with win-modems????
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pengaol/
The page says that it works under Debian.
This would be very cool for people who want to check their mail to "prove" that your linux stuff actually works.
Would this pseudo AOL work with win-modems????
Those are separate problems,
The modem modules are hardware level drivers, the AOL client involves higher level protocols.
Is there no way to drive a winmodem? If Windoze can do it....
The best think to drive a winmodem is windowze.A few work in Linux and this site may help you http://www.linmodems.org/
I am on dialup and did myself a big favor and bought an external serial modem a few years ago.If you have a dialup please get a real modem.External has a few advantages like being a little faster,not needing a driver,working with any os and not using near the system resources like an internal junk software modem.Sure they cost more but its well worth it.
To get this back on topic -
While I will try my hand at remastering in the near future, it would be a great idea to have PengAOL as part of the *standard* release. If the intention is to offer a demo distro, being able to get AOL mail is something many users will want.
Sorry to bump such an old topic, but its still relevant.
I love knoppix. I'm a long time mandrake user (who has fallen flat on his face several times installing debian.. got it installed a few times only to end up with severe difficulties with X.) who is stuck in a windows environment at work. 100% of all my computer duties involve a web browser, spreadsheet, and an internet connection. The powers that be are to cheap to spring for a business DSL or similar connection, leaving me with an AOL (of all things) connection.
If it were a regular PPP connection, I would be using knoppix right now. However, as everyone knows AOL is just slightly different. I've looked at the instructions for remastering the knoppix cd, but they look to be a bit out of my league.
I've tried just downloading the .deb and installing it after knoppix is up and running, but dpkg gives me some errors about its directory being read only. I basically have 0 experience with debian's package system so I don't know if I can tell it to install to the ramdisk or not.
Anyway, adding a few specialized dialers would be a nice way to increase the functionality for many users. AOL and NetZero immediately come to mind.

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00