-
BIOS age fails cutoff
I've run Knoppix V3.7 on my IBM 600X laptop successfully. However, when I try running Knoppix 3.8.2, I get an error message "BIOS age fails cutoff" resulting in a panic and an unsuccessful boot. I've tried updating the BIOS to the latest that Lenovo offers for the 600X (ITET55WW 11/30/99), but no improvement. I tried running with the failsafe boot option, and I was then able to boot, but I don't know if I'm likely to experience further problems if I use it under such conditions. Is there some hardware requirement that the computer's BIOS can't be older than a particular date? Nothing is mentioned about this on this website under
"What are the minimum system requirements?
Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE
(at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office
products),
bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI
or SCSI),
standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse."
If the BIOS age is a newer, undocumented requirement, what is the reason for such a requirement? (Linux has always been good about supporting old hardware). Why 3.8.2 and not 3.7?
-
Senior Member
registered user
If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
knoppix acpi=off
OR
knoppix noacpi
-
Thank you for your good suggestion and quick response. I tried knoppix acpi=off and variations, but got the same result, with the bios date cutoff message. The only thing that allows me to boot is to enter failsafe at the boot prompt, which bypasses most hardware checking before booting. So the problem definately has to do with hardware, but apparently disabling ACPI alone is not enough. I don't want to run with no hardware checking as I feel that may lead to problems, and is not the proper way of running Knoppix.

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some
Cheat Codes, such as:
knoppix acpi=off
OR
knoppix noacpi
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Try the expert cheat code and take notes, reboot and change your last response when it hangs.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I did try the "expert" cheat code as you suggested, and I got the same output: "BIOS age fails cutoff" followed by lots of screen output that scrolls quickly, ending with a "panic" message. I also tried the "debug" cheat code with the same results, although I'm not yet familiar with using that mode. I'm not providing the system with any other responses other than what I have previously mentioned. I get the same negative result with everything except failsafe (bypass most hardware checking) which does boot Knoppix normally.
Similar Threads
-
By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
-
By xtoor in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 04:00 AM
-
By flippa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 01:18 PM
-
By renderedbrian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 11:14 PM
-
By chaoszero118 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP
$127.00