Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Reboot computer without prompt for for a keypress

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    Reboot computer without prompt for for a keypress

    Hi,

    I would like to reboot my knoppix-system without a prompt for for a keypress. But the CD should be ejected.
    There is a cheatcode "noprompt", but then the CD won't be ejeceted.

    I will use this for getting automatically images of servers over night. It would be great if someone can help me.

    Thx & cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Well, this has been discussed here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14175 where we discover that knoppix uses a modified sysvinit. If you want to follow up & edit the source, then you can get them at http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/sources/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Ok .. but ..

    Ok, so this was covered a little in another thread --

    BUT ..

    If KNOPPIX has a "noprompt" and "noeject" runtime parameter, passed into the kernel at boot time - WHY oh WHY aren't they honored?

    I have a situation where I NEED the box to be able to reboot unattended at a given time.

    I've modified lilo to pass in "noprompt" -- which brings be to the point where the system says "Preparing for reboot" and then sits there forever.

    I know KNOPPIX >CAN< reboot, since when I leave the prompt up and hit a key, the system reboots / powers down normally.

    What I don't understand is why setting "noprompt" doesn't work, regardless of the modified SysVInit package.

    Any help?!

    P

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Fixed...

    Ok,

    So without anyone responding, I took it upon myself to make the change.

    I was using a LiveCD KNOPPIX style installation, but it was running from a Read/write CF card, so I downloaded the file: sysvinit-knoppix-2.84.tar.gz from http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/sources/ and had a go at removing the prompt and cdrom removal in a way that actually worked.

    After reading the code, I couldn't figure out WHY setting "NOPROMPT" and "NOEJECT" passing into the kernel at boot time wasn't working as it should - the code read quite clearly that if those were there, move on and finish rebooting.

    Clearly frustrated at the whole ordeal - I simply removed the offending block of code using the magic of "//"

    I then recompiled init, did the special dance of 1,000 files to extract, insert, and recompress the KNOPPIX file, and put it back onto my CF Card..

    Voila - No keypress!

    If anyone ever has this problem again - (IE: Someone breaks sysvinit to require a freakin' keypress ..) - let me know and I'll forward you either a diff, patch, or zip of the whole mess fixed up.

    P

Similar Threads

  1. Computer reboot when kernel is loading
    By gauclair in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 05:36 AM
  2. Log out prompt
    By Fiazle in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM
  3. frozen computer+ reboot= no kde?
    By mimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:57 AM
  4. it does not prompt me how to log in
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 02:46 AM
  5. Changing prompt
    By n3150nao in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP

$349.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00