Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Mode Not Supported?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Mode Not Supported?

    I've searched the forums and I belive I have not seen this problem previously posted. Sorry if it was, just redirect me, but:

    I wasn't sure if I started right at all, but I downloaded the knoppix DVD (the latest one) and burnt the whole .zip file to the DVD as an image. Then when I booted from the DVD, I see a few booting sequences come up, then my screen goes black, and I get a message "Mode not Supported". It looks like the message is comming from my monitor, so my best guess is that it is a resolution problem, but I wouldn't know how to configure it. Any help would be greatly apriciated. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Welcome to Knoppix.net
    Did you follow the download & verification & burning instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ ? From the fact that it booted, it seems that you might have had a successful burn but please read it as it has some real must reads tips & suggestions that will help you make sure you have downloaded and burned a good working Knoppix DVD.

    On the video problems:
    It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
    knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texada Is. BC Canada
    Posts
    18

    Re: Mode Not Supported?

    Quote Originally Posted by eLp619
    **** Then when I booted from the DVD, I see a few booting sequences come up, then my screen goes black, and I get a message "Mode not Supported". It looks like the message is comming from my monitor, so my best guess is that it is a resolution problem, but I wouldn't know how to configure it.
    It is what I call "the LCD monitor problem". Since I am lucky enough to have many computers and monitors, and try out a lot of Distros, I have confronted this monster many times.

    The easiest way of varifying it, is to hook your computer up to a good CRT monitor -- the problem disappears. It is to do with the more limited range of operation options on a LCD monitor. Strange part is, it is a combination of LCD and video driver -- different combinations produce different results. The problem area is the video mode just after the Grub Menu and the start of X. Many times (if there isn't any other problem - like proper cheat codes) I have just watched the blank screen, sat back and waited for X to start.

    I have several work-a-rounds depending on the Distro and equipment -- you should visit the Kanotix Forum and ask the same question as it has been discussed more there. Knoppix, Kanotix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and others will do the same thing on some setups. It has very little to do with what you set your X resolution to be. The good news is, there is always a solution..... but it would be better if the cause was eliminated -- of course recognition of the problem would be a good first step. Oh yeah, once a Distro is installed, the problem disappears completely. And I can't give you the exact trick for the Knoppix DVD, as I don't have it (dial-up). My 2005-04 Kanotix did this -- on harddrive now (no problem).

    It is surely on the top of the list of what turns new users off Linux -- resulting in a lot of discs in the garbage can, and back to Windows. Actually I'm a little tired of seeing the same problem pop up time and time again with no real resolve.

Similar Threads

  1. Mode not supported (screen message)
    By Mr Cornelius in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
  2. JRE 1.5 not supported?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM
  4. (Video) "Mode not supported"
    By logiker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:26 AM
  5. Supported Video and Net
    By charles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$119.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00