-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Mode Not Supported?

Originally Posted by
eLp619
**** Then when I booted from the DVD, I see a few booting sequences come up, then my screen goes black, and I get a message "Mode not Supported". It looks like the message is comming from my monitor, so my best guess is that it is a resolution problem, but I wouldn't know how to configure it.
It is what I call "the LCD monitor problem". Since I am lucky enough to have many computers and monitors, and try out a lot of Distros, I have confronted this monster many times.
The easiest way of varifying it, is to hook your computer up to a good CRT monitor -- the problem disappears. It is to do with the more limited range of operation options on a LCD monitor. Strange part is, it is a combination of LCD and video driver -- different combinations produce different results. The problem area is the video mode just after the Grub Menu and the start of X. Many times (if there isn't any other problem - like proper cheat codes) I have just watched the blank screen, sat back and waited for X to start.
I have several work-a-rounds depending on the Distro and equipment -- you should visit the Kanotix Forum and ask the same question as it has been discussed more there. Knoppix, Kanotix, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and others will do the same thing on some setups. It has very little to do with what you set your X resolution to be. The good news is, there is always a solution..... but it would be better if the cause was eliminated -- of course recognition of the problem would be a good first step. Oh yeah, once a Distro is installed, the problem disappears completely. And I can't give you the exact trick for the Knoppix DVD, as I don't have it (dial-up). My 2005-04 Kanotix did this -- on harddrive now (no problem).
It is surely on the top of the list of what turns new users off Linux -- resulting in a lot of discs in the garbage can, and back to Windows. Actually I'm a little tired of seeing the same problem pop up time and time again with no real resolve.
Similar Threads
-
By Mr Cornelius in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
-
By ilan1 in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM
-
By logiker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:26 AM
-
By charles in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00