Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Unable to boot from usb cd-rom

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2

    Unable to boot from usb cd-rom

    I have a Compaq BL10e blade that I need to boot to knoppix. I have tested the CD in other servers without an issue, so I know my media is good. The server boots to the CD, but I get the dreaded "Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry!" message. I tried failsafe, and text mode without any luck.

    I'm trying to avoid buying a usb floppydrive, a coworker can bring one in next week... too bad I need to get this fixed asap. then again I suspect i might have the same trouble with a floppy drive. For the same reason I haven't emptied out my usb drive.

    I suspect i just need to mount the cdrom, but I'm wicked rusty on my unix commands. any suggestions while I try to find more RAM to try booting "toram"?

    Thanks!

    -Nate

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Unable to boot from usb cd-rom

    Quote Originally Posted by natestovall
    I have tested the CD in other servers without an issue, so I know my media is good.
    You do not know that your media is good. All you know is that it booted on other systems. If it was a high speed burn it could and likely is a marginal burn that works on some systems and not others. Sometimes CD drives become marginal too and have problems booting (and this shows up even more if the disk was burnt at high speed). I would suggest trying another CD burnt at slow speed or even a CDRW (changing to CDRW also changes the gain of the amplifer in the read circuit which sometimes can help work around optics issuers).

    This is not a mount command issue.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    ok I reburned the CD on 4x with media i trust, not the crappy stuff here. - no luck. both cd's work fine on any other hardware, just not the bl10e.

    I have also tried the boot floppy, no go.
    I also "borrowed" another USB cd-rom with the same results.

    I can boot to the bl20p blades without any hassle, it's just the bl10e's. Any ideas?

    -Nate

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix USB boot CDROM failure - just like other distros

    USB booting can be problematic. I've had some serious problems getting my new Toshiba Portege R150 to boot, and that's with the stupidly expensive Toshiba brand USB DVD-RW (the only way it'll boot from external sources besides PXE).

    There's a known problem regarding how some distros mount the USB drive after a certain point of the boot process. The only stable "live" distro that I have found to work (and has been confirmed by others) is UBUNTU LIVE. There's also a GENTOO LIVE "experimental" distro (dated November '05, I think) that you should be able to find from any Gentoo mirror under the x86/live/experimental branch (I think that's the path).

    This Gentoo distro was the result of a nice long bugfix chain I found on their support website (gentoo.org) that one of the distro devs put together. He specifically said it WASN'T going to be distributed to the main boot CD chain (dunno why...), but the LIVE cd still gets me in far enough to (at this moment) install Gentoo on a HD partition

    I'd rather start with using Knoppix, but the boot sequence hasn't been corrected yet. FYI, it's under the following link (anybody in the distro admin wanna make a similar Knoppix fix?):
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-320660.html
    http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83276

    Hope this helps somebody else out there!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside the Matrix
    Posts
    1
    Has this been fixed in more recent Knoppix releases? I'd really like to be able to boot from an external USB CDROM. It seems to me that this is would be a fairly common way to boot Knoppix for people who want to use it as a repair OS.

    Other distros that *will* boot from an external CDROM (at least on my Thinkpad T43 with a Targus DVD-CDR external USB drive:

    - Finnix (a Knoppix derivative, stripped down for sysadmins; use "bootusb" option) www.finnix.org
    - Gentoo Live CD (can't remember if a special boot option is needed; probably so)

    I haven't found others that will allow the extra time for the OS to properly i.d. and register the external USB CDROM. I don't think this is rocket science, but it would require a bit of tweaking to the boot sequence.

    Can anyone share other helpful info? Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to boot with knoppix CD
    By asachdeva in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
  2. Unable to boot Knoppix 4 and 5.0.1
    By easyheyder in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 06:14 PM
  3. Unable to boot 3.8.1
    By zephyr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM
  4. Unable to boot knoppix
    By sys104 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
  5. No floppy and unable to boot from CD
    By godsdog in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon Gold 5220R 2.2 GHz 24 Cores SRGZP Server Processor CPU picture

Intel Xeon Gold 5220R 2.2 GHz 24 Cores SRGZP Server Processor CPU

$48.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor picture

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor

$28.00



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99