-
Moving an install to a different computer
I currently have Knoppix 4 installed on hda8 of my laptop.
I've spent a lot of time customizing it and adding the software I want/need.
And some of the software didn't install easily 
With it all working fine, I would really like to install it on my desktop as well.
I've made an image of the installed partition using Acronis TrueImage, and what I would like to do is use that image and copy everything to my desktop computer.
I know there will some issues ... one of them being the fact that on my desktop, the hard drive will be hdb1 instead of hda8.
So the main question(s) is:
Once I restore from the TrueImage, can I boot using the live CD then edit files using VI or Kedit and change any references from hda8 to hdb1 ?
And if so, what files would need editing ?
If that isn't possible...
Then my 2nd option would be to do a fresh install on the desktop and copy the stuff I've customized over from the laptop to the desktop. What I don't know is what files/directories would need copying. My /home of course. /opt? /usr? I guess what I'm asking here is when installing using apt/dpkg/synaptic, what directories are files copies to?
TrueImage will preserve permissions, so I don't think that is an issue.
Any other things I should be prepared for ?
And since this isn't a production install, I can tinker with things until I get it all right. In fact, I kinda want to so that I learn about this. I'm not scared getting my hands dirty, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what I need to do to get the thing running enough to fix everything that will need fixing.
Thanks a bunch for your help.
-- Brent
Similar Threads
-
By rtrdom in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:58 AM
-
By mcostantino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM
-
By dantheman10110 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By vulkan abriyanto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 03:22 AM
-
By ephrem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL
$60.00

Vintage Dell Latitude CPi A366XT Win 98SE w/USB Support 256MB 60GB HD FDD Serial
$109.99

Vintage Digitizer Tablet Accessories Lot 16 Button Puck & Stylus P/N 01-0339
$140.00

Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s
$89.00

Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR
$100.00

Tektronix Vintage Full-Size QWERTY Keyboard with Numeric Keypad 119-1989-001
$79.99

Vintage Adesso 305 Extended Apple Mac ADB Keyboard Green Alps Clone SKCL Switch
$69.99

Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested)
$59.95

5x Vintage SSS SCP1802D SCP1802LD Ceramic CPU 1802 COSMAC 1978 Gold IC
$224.99

HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included.
$69.00