Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Moving an install to a different computer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Moving an install to a different computer

    I currently have Knoppix 4 installed on hda8 of my laptop.
    I've spent a lot of time customizing it and adding the software I want/need.
    And some of the software didn't install easily

    With it all working fine, I would really like to install it on my desktop as well.
    I've made an image of the installed partition using Acronis TrueImage, and what I would like to do is use that image and copy everything to my desktop computer.

    I know there will some issues ... one of them being the fact that on my desktop, the hard drive will be hdb1 instead of hda8.

    So the main question(s) is:
    Once I restore from the TrueImage, can I boot using the live CD then edit files using VI or Kedit and change any references from hda8 to hdb1 ?
    And if so, what files would need editing ?

    If that isn't possible...
    Then my 2nd option would be to do a fresh install on the desktop and copy the stuff I've customized over from the laptop to the desktop. What I don't know is what files/directories would need copying. My /home of course. /opt? /usr? I guess what I'm asking here is when installing using apt/dpkg/synaptic, what directories are files copies to?

    TrueImage will preserve permissions, so I don't think that is an issue.
    Any other things I should be prepared for ?

    And since this isn't a production install, I can tinker with things until I get it all right. In fact, I kinda want to so that I learn about this. I'm not scared getting my hands dirty, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what I need to do to get the thing running enough to fix everything that will need fixing.

    Thanks a bunch for your help.

    -- Brent

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try, should work ok, /etc/fstab must be edited and such, you will get erorr messages...
    if you find a problem ask here, we will try to answer.
    i have copied many installs from disk to another.
    mostly get some minor trouble easily fixed, usualy, by editing /etc/fstab /etc/modules... and reinstaling grub or lilo (or ading install to the bootloader already there)most occasions this has worked well (one install had some trouble with the kernelconfig).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Moving to a different computer is just about the same as moving to a different HD the same machine. Yuo will have to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab files.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19389

Similar Threads

  1. moving files from external HD to new C: XP install
    By rtrdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:58 AM
  2. Moving an existing HD install to another system
    By mcostantino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM
  3. Moving Hdd Install
    By dantheman10110 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
  4. Install knoppix 3.3 on my computer
    By vulkan abriyanto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 03:22 AM
  5. HDD install--two different results on same computer
    By ephrem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair

$249.95



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95