Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: file partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6

    file partition

    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?

    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.

    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: file partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Man
    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.
    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.
    This is a little confusing...
    but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
    and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
    which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
    As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
    - NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
    - ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
    - swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
    - fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
    So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6

    Re: file partition

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Man
    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.
    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.
    This is a little confusing...
    but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
    and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
    which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
    As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
    - NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
    - ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
    - swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
    - fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
    So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles
    All my file partitions are in FAT32 currently I havn't got round to changing to to NTFS yet. I've worked out how to save in FAT 32 so I'm nice and almost happy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
  2. swap file partition type?
    By rockdeman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
  3. Restoring Knoppix Partition From an image File
    By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
  4. no swap file/partition on hda...I need one but dont know how
    By helios17 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 04:12 AM
  5. can't create a file on the ntfs partition
    By faz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99



Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A- picture

Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A-

$473.87