-
Re: file partition

Originally Posted by
ruymbeke

Originally Posted by
Lex-Man
I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.
P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.
This is a little confusing...
but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
- NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
- ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
- swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
- fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
All my file partitions are in FAT32 currently I havn't got round to changing to to NTFS yet. I've worked out how to save in FAT 32 so I'm nice and almost happy.
Similar Threads
-
By okorkie in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
-
By rockdeman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
-
By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
-
By helios17 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 04:12 AM
-
By faz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

Commodore Amiga 1010 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 880K WORKS GREAT
$179.00

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$225.00

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs
$895.00

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks
$199.00

OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT
$329.95