Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: file partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6

    file partition

    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?

    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.

    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: file partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Man
    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.
    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.
    This is a little confusing...
    but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
    and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
    which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
    As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
    - NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
    - ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
    - swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
    - fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
    So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6

    Re: file partition

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Man
    I'm using a primary XP system but what some linux action so I created myself a boot cd. But to save stuff what kind of file partition should I use to save stuff, ext2/3 or swap?
    If i can use any what are the advantages/ disadvantages if I can use either.
    P.S. I checked the FAQ but couldn't see anything about this type of question.
    This is a little confusing...
    but my guess is that you are willing to use both XP (with native ntfs partition)
    and Knoppix from the boot CD/DVD and are looking for a partition type
    which could be use by both systems to exchange information back and forth.
    As a quick summary, even though there is much more partition types:
    - NTFS can read by both XP and Linux, but write is only considered reliable on XP (but Linux is getting better at it)
    - ext2/3 is one of the preferred native partition type for Linux bur cannot be written easily on XP (PQmagic can do it)
    - swap is used by the Linux virtual memory management and cannot/should not be used to store data.
    - fat32 can natively be read and written reliabily by both Linux and XP.
    So I would recommend to create a FAT32 partition.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles
    All my file partitions are in FAT32 currently I havn't got round to changing to to NTFS yet. I've worked out how to save in FAT 32 so I'm nice and almost happy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
  2. swap file partition type?
    By rockdeman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
  3. Restoring Knoppix Partition From an image File
    By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
  4. no swap file/partition on hda...I need one but dont know how
    By helios17 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 04:12 AM
  5. can't create a file on the ntfs partition
    By faz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working picture

Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working

$325.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$599.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Lot of Vintage 90’s Compaq Computers How Does How Can I Booklets picture

Lot of Vintage 90’s Compaq Computers How Does How Can I Booklets

$39.95



Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS picture

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS

$50.00



Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape picture

Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape

$499.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00