Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can I Boot from a Knoppix DVD disk on a CD-ROM drive?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can I Boot from a Knoppix DVD disk on a CD-ROM drive?

    I am thinking of getting the DVD version of Knoppix 4.0.2 because of the extra software. My question is, since it is not a DVD video or other similar media, will I be able to boot from the DVD on a computer that only has a CD-ROM Drive? I would not like to spend the hours downloading the DVD version only to have it not work in my CD-ROM. Please advise! Thanx.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    A DVD will not work in a CDROM drive. The CDROM drive does not have a sensitive enough laser to read the data on a DVD.
    Download the CD image & not the DVD image.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Can I Boot from a Knoppix DVD disk on a CD-ROM drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by superusmagister
    I am thinking of getting the DVD version of Knoppix 4.0.2 because of the extra software. My question is, since it is not a DVD video or other similar media, will I be able to boot from the DVD on a computer that only has a CD-ROM Drive? I would not like to spend the hours downloading the DVD version only to have it not work in my CD-ROM. Please advise! Thanx.
    If you download the Knoppix 4.02 DVD ISO image in order to boot and run the knoppix dvd applications using this file,
    you actually don't need to burn this file on a DVD nor to have a DVD-Rom drive to boot from it, there is another way:
    Some people call it the "poor man install", some other the "power man install"...
    This is a way allowing to boot from the ISO cd or dvd image file stored in your hdd, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd
    except that it boots way faster and obviously you don't need a cd/DVD reader.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Can I Boot from a Knoppix DVD disk on a CD-ROM drive?

    --Another possibility is to use Vmware and mount the DVD ISO as a virtual drive. I did this 'way back when the original Knoppix DVD Beta came out, and I didn't have a DVD drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Quote Originally Posted by superusmagister
    I am thinking of getting the DVD version of Knoppix 4.0.2 because of the extra software. My question is, since it is not a DVD video or other similar media, will I be able to boot from the DVD on a computer that only has a CD-ROM Drive? I would not like to spend the hours downloading the DVD version only to have it not work in my CD-ROM. Please advise! Thanx.
    If you download the Knoppix 4.02 DVD ISO image in order to boot and run the knoppix dvd applications using this file,
    you actually don't need to burn this file on a DVD nor to have a DVD-Rom drive to boot from it, there is another way:
    Some people call it the "poor man install", some other the "power man install"...
    This is a way allowing to boot from the ISO cd or dvd image file stored in your hdd, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd
    except that it boots way faster and obviously you don't need a cd/DVD reader.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Similar Threads

  1. CD Won't boot: "Disk error 10, AX=4280, drive EF
    By Dood in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
  2. Using Knoppix to make a disk image of a NTFS-format drive?
    By goldenh in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
  3. Knoppix hard-disk intall and ZIP drive??
    By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:04 PM
  4. saving config to hard drive and boot disk problem
    By Eradicator in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
  5. knoppix boot disk
    By worfking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working picture

Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working

$325.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$599.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Lot of Vintage 90’s Compaq Computers How Does How Can I Booklets picture

Lot of Vintage 90’s Compaq Computers How Does How Can I Booklets

$39.95



Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS picture

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS

$50.00



Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape picture

Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape

$499.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00