Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: BIOS age fails cutoff

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Near Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    3

    BIOS age fails cutoff

    I've run Knoppix V3.7 on my IBM 600X laptop successfully. However, when I try running Knoppix 3.8.2, I get an error message "BIOS age fails cutoff" resulting in a panic and an unsuccessful boot. I've tried updating the BIOS to the latest that Lenovo offers for the 600X (ITET55WW 11/30/99), but no improvement. I tried running with the failsafe boot option, and I was then able to boot, but I don't know if I'm likely to experience further problems if I use it under such conditions. Is there some hardware requirement that the computer's BIOS can't be older than a particular date? Nothing is mentioned about this on this website under

    "What are the minimum system requirements?

    Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
    32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE
    (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office
    products),
    bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI
    or SCSI),
    standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
    serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse."

    If the BIOS age is a newer, undocumented requirement, what is the reason for such a requirement? (Linux has always been good about supporting old hardware). Why 3.8.2 and not 3.7?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix acpi=off
    OR
    knoppix noacpi

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Near Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    3
    Thank you for your good suggestion and quick response. I tried knoppix acpi=off and variations, but got the same result, with the bios date cutoff message. The only thing that allows me to boot is to enter failsafe at the boot prompt, which bypasses most hardware checking before booting. So the problem definately has to do with hardware, but apparently disabling ACPI alone is not enough. I don't want to run with no hardware checking as I feel that may lead to problems, and is not the proper way of running Knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    If I recall correctly, that bios cutoff message refers to ACPI. I have a thinkpad t23 and I must disable knoppix's automatic use of ACPI or the thinkpad will fail to boot. I boot knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix acpi=off
    OR
    knoppix noacpi

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Try the expert cheat code and take notes, reboot and change your last response when it hangs.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Near Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    3
    I did try the "expert" cheat code as you suggested, and I got the same output: "BIOS age fails cutoff" followed by lots of screen output that scrolls quickly, ending with a "panic" message. I also tried the "debug" cheat code with the same results, although I'm not yet familiar with using that mode. I'm not providing the system with any other responses other than what I have previously mentioned. I get the same negative result with everything except failsafe (bypass most hardware checking) which does boot Knoppix normally.

Similar Threads

  1. ACPI:BIOS age (2001) Fails cut off (2002) acpi=force
    By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
  2. BIOS pwd
    By xtoor in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 04:00 AM
  3. Shutdown.ogg and cutoff of "the fair lady's message&quo
    By flippa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 01:18 PM
  4. hdd-installed knoppix 3.3 - Bios fails on reboot
    By renderedbrian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 11:14 PM
  5. How do you change BIOS?
    By chaoszero118 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$2500.00



Vintage AutoCAD  2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code picture

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code

$144.45



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic picture

LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic

$59.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Y2K Heritage Brown Leather 17” Laptop Briefcase Business Bag With Strap picture

Vintage Y2K Heritage Brown Leather 17” Laptop Briefcase Business Bag With Strap

$49.95



RARE NEW RETAIL BOX VINTAGE AST BTC 5140M WINDOWS PS2 KEYBOARD FCC E5XK8M104M10U picture

RARE NEW RETAIL BOX VINTAGE AST BTC 5140M WINDOWS PS2 KEYBOARD FCC E5XK8M104M10U

$31.95



Vintage Rare 256KB Coast Cache Memory Module 32kx64 L2 Pipeline HT-VX picture

Vintage Rare 256KB Coast Cache Memory Module 32kx64 L2 Pipeline HT-VX

$6.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88