Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 4.0.2 Questions

  1. #1

    Knoppix 4.0.2 Questions

    I have Knoppix 4.0.2 and I am using it to rescue my Windows XP that is no longer booting. I would like to back up the data to my IDE Hard drive before I attempt to use the recovery console to fix anything wrong because I can't afford to lose the data on the harddrive. So I have many questions to pull me through this process.

    Firstly, I would like to know what the best way to go about rescuing my data is. So I will start with how to backup my main Hard drive which is SATA to my backup drive which is IDE.

    Drive Background. Originally my IDE drive is supposed to be my critical data storage drive, however I was in the process of transferring files before Windows became unbootable. So my SATA contains information and data that I need to recover. The SATA drive is 300GB and the IDE is 250GB. The total data on the combined drives are 350GB (including windows files and programs that can be reinstalled so it may be less than that required to backup) Both drives are NTFS

    I would like to know how to backup my SATA to my IDE. I would also like to know if copying the data directly will result in damage to the IDE. If it will not affect any data already on the IDE then I can try to copy the data directly and test the IDE with a different system to determine if the copying was done correctly. In this case it would be simpler just to reinstall Windows XP. Any info on ways to backup the data that will not result in a complete loss of data would be much appreciated. I have the ability to provide any more details on the hardware or whatever if needed.

    I would like to thank everyone who reads this and is able to offer any help in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3

    Answer 5

    I realized that answer five contained some key information that I never thought of. I would like to know if I use a Samba Server to share both drives and use a windows system to copy the data if it will definitely work. I assume it will since it will be a direct copy using Windows.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Answer 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Vyper
    I would like to know if I use a Samba Server to share both drives and use a windows system to copy the data if it will definitely work.
    It certainly should work. Samba can be tricky and so this may depend on your skill level. And, of course, no one can make you any promises about the data on the now bad Windows system. If you feel the wiki isn't complete enough then please update it based on your experiences as you try to recover.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Two Questions About Knoppix
    By DCGS in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM
  2. some questions about knoppix 4.0.2 DVD
    By tworiversfolk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
  3. Few Questions about Knoppix
    By |2yan in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. New to Knoppix some questions
    By Jorah in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:37 AM
  5. Knoppix questions
    By NickT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU picture

Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU

$162.95



Intel Core i7-8700T SR3WX 2.40GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-8700T SR3WX 2.40GHz Processor

$65.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V picture

Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V

$115.00