Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Changing graphics cards

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30

    Changing graphics cards

    Hi,

    I have a couple of questions about changing graphics cards. I have a
    motherboard with on board VGA support but find that playing a DVD
    yields very jerky video images. I am considering getting a separate
    graphics card for applications like xine for watching DVD's or
    downloaded video clips. I am not into gaming or heavy 3D graphics. So
    my first question or request is for video card recommendations for low
    to medium cost cards supported by Knoppix.

    I have Knoppix 4.0.2 installed on my hard disk. If I move to a new
    graphic card, is it possible to install it without doing a new HD
    install? My other question is how. I am concerned about getting the
    graphics configuration correct.

    I don't fully understand the Knoppix boot process. If it does hardware
    detection and configuration every time the system boots, I am home
    free; otherwise I have to do something to update the configuration. I
    notice that my XF86Config-4 file is dated about the time I did the install.
    I was hoping that I could put the new card into the system, boot from
    the Knoppix CD and copy appropriate configuration files to the hard
    disk. If that is the case, what are configuration files that I need to
    copy?

    Is there a way for me to use mkxf86config to build the configuration file I
    need?

    I apologize for my confused ramblings.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Don

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I know Knoppix does hardware detection on every boot (most Linuxes do, especially livecds) so as long as you're card is supported, you're good. I'd reccomend possibly a geForce 5. I have a 5500 with 256 mb video ram, and it runs just as well as some of my friends' geforce 6's.

Similar Threads

  1. Onboard graphics.
    By mduduzi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
  2. XGI Volari Graphics Cards (Specifically "Volari V3"
    By I S in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 07:12 PM
  3. Graphics cards - just my luck?
    By Davidsa in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 04:52 PM
  4. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. changing hwsetup for multiple graphics cards
    By cYmen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00