Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: OpenOffice 2.0 Install: No Fonts!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    OpenOffice 2.0 Install: No Fonts!!

    Ok, I bit the bullet.

    Even though I can run the Windows version of OO in my setup via OpenOffice, I downloaded from the OO website 101.5 megs of OpenOffice install files. I get it unpacked to discover the package is dozens of rpms.

    Ok, I "alien" that. I finish the install.

    It seemed to go fine with no errors. Now here is the rub:

    Fonts do not appear. Little dotted rectangles show up in place of each letter.

    BUT!

    If I run OO as root, fonts work. I can see text in menus and documents, but not anti-aliased. They look crappy but at least I can read them.

    So, does anyone know what I can do? Is there some permissions change I need to do? An additional file to download an install?

    I looked at some websites that deal with OO font issues, but nothing seemed to apply to me.


    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Narrowing it down: No Menus

    Flying blind with no menus to guide me I did manage to open a document in user mode. (The menus being just little rectangles where letters are supposed to be.)

    Hey, I could read the document!! Well, that narrows the problem.

    So, apparently this problem is affecting only menus in all the apps in OpenOffice when I run as "user".

    I have read of a similar bug in OO, but it was version 1.01.

    At least everything is usable if I set OO to open in root.

    It's just annoying to have to type in a password everytime I want to use it. Do I have to "settle" for that?


    sakiZ

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    SOLVED!

    Well this was a very simple fix. It just took me a while to think of it.

    After exhausting all the OO possibilities with the helpful folks in the OO forums, I began to ponder the suggestion that the problem was a "font" problem on the Debian side.

    I began to ponder how logging in as root and logging in as user you get two completely different desktops. "Root" is totally unconfigured in my system. Interestingly enough it has only been recently that I had found a hack that let me log in as root.

    Anyway, root looks just like it did the day I installed the OS. My user desktop is highly tweaked and looks very different.

    I thought "What if....the font preferences in the two desktops are different and the user one is incompatible somehow?

    This seemed highly likely.

    So, tonight I logged in as root and looked at the font preferences. "Menu" fonts were set to Helvetica 12 pt.

    I immediately exited and re-logged in as user. Those menu preferences all used "Clearly PUA". Menu fonts were set at "Clearly PUA 13 pt".

    So, I changed the Menu font prefs to Helvitica 12 pt. and fired up OO.

    FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!

    I got my pulldown menus.

    Wheee!!!!

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-aliased fonts in OpenOffice?
    By crion in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 01:49 AM
  2. OpenOffice fonts messed up in 3.3
    By bigpilot in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
  3. Bad menu fonts in Debian's OpenOffice
    By Lexinton in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 07:26 PM
  4. Install OpenOffice 1.1 RC3
    By vi.tan.gr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:02 PM
  5. Fonts - HD install
    By Stephen in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 12:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00