-
k-package doesnt work
i installed knoppix 3.2 (version from fourth of may 2003) on hdd, and everything works, except k-package.
always terminates with "exec failed: No such file or directory"
can anyone help me ... by the way, Knoppix 3.1 did not have that problem
i'm not quite sure if k-package is the problem or apt
thx tobi
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've never used K package- sorry that isn't much help eh? Anyway, you could always do a
apt-get install synaptic
synaptic
It is also a package management tool. Personally I just use apt-get. If you have packages on my sytem that aren't installed (like .debs) you could use midnight commander too.
Anybody else having trouble w/ the 5-4 release & kpackage?
-
Senior Member
registered user
kpackage works on 28-4-03, .. although it spits out a few errors. I don't have the latest right now to test. anyone ?
-
Hi, this is my first post
I've installed Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) and i've the same problem with KPackage.
maybe i'll try installing the last version of kpackage using apt get install
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
RiBeZ
Hi, this is my first post
I've installed Knoppix 3.2 (4-15-2003) and i've the same problem with KPackage.
maybe i'll try installing the last version of kpackage using apt get install
...same problem here (2003-05-03) version...
After uninstalling kpackage it is not possible reinstalling it with apt-get.
There is something similar to synaptic: stormpkg
-
Re: k-package doesnt work
everything works, except k-package.
always terminates with "exec failed: No such file or directory"
I had the same problem, and it ended up being a corrupted /etc/passwd file - /usr/bin/konsole-grantpty can't give kpackage root privileges.
I had no idea how to fix it so I just ended up reinstalling. If you're using the User Change Howto be *very very* careful you typed all the changes to knx-hdinstall right; I suspect that's where I messed up, as everything went OK the second time.
Good luck 
Andy
Addendum: DOH! After a reboot it no longer works, although /etc/passwd is OK.....
-
After uninstalling kpackage it is not possible reinstalling it with apt-get.
Um. Yes it is, you have to find kpackage 3.1.1-2 on the web, download and cd to the dir and install it from there. Doesn't fix the problem tho (see my other post)
Andy
-
Found a workaround
Ok guys, I found a workaround (be patient for a moment, this was written straight from my notes)
I noted a couple things while playing around with this:
From "Special" menu: Calls apt-get update OK, but not apt upgrade.
-------------------------------------
Calling kpackage from console like this:
kpackage apache-doc
gives kpackage window and an error window which says:
File not found: /dev/apache-doc
(that /dev/ looks really odd. Could this be a mangled terminal authentication call?) Hmm.
I then called kpackage by itself from a console and tried to install a random doc.deb. When the "exec failed:" message came up, the console printed:
Reason: Function not implemented
konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp1::/dev/ttyp1.
: This means the session can be eavesdroped.
: Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in
: /usr/bin/ and setuid root. (which it is)
Hmm.
Looks like the problem is related to the embedded terminal that kpackage calls when it runs apt, for some reason it can't authenticate with the system for opening the embedded terminal.
Here's the workaround: (NOTE: AFAICT you must be running a configured sshd server. I may be wrong tho.)
Open up kpackage: In Settings>>Configure Kpackage>>Types, put a checkmark in the box "Use remote host (Debian APT only)"; then in the box below that put "localhost"; hit OK and it will come up and say that it cannot verify the authenticity of localhost, continue? say "Yes" and hit OK and wait for it to rebuild the package list.
Then everything works (for me at least, how about everyone else?)
Ta-da! 
Looks like kpackage is broken.
Andy
-
works ...
i finally got k-package workin again using agroz hint ... thanx a lot.
although i got an error message after selecting localhost ... seemed like my root password would be wrong ... but i can login as root with that password ... i can now install packages ... kind of strange, but however .. it works
-
worked!
cool, this one worked great for me too =)
many thx
muab
Similar Threads
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By Wonko in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2004, 02:48 AM
-
By Whatsup! in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:01 AM
-
By tezkejbjes in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-06-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By hamatoma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08