Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Connecting with the Internet using Earthlink DSL

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    Connecting with the Internet using Earthlink DSL

    Am brand new to using Knoppix and need some help to get connected to the Internet - I'm using my Windows XP install to write this - had no problem getting Knoppix to boot up on my two + year old E Machines desktop - everything appears to work and the KDE desktop comes up with all menus etc. Where I'm having trouble is connecting to the net - in Windows my connection is on a LAN that connects through a hardware firewall directly to the Earthlink supplied Modem - no router at this time - In Windows the connection is set up to "Obtain IP automatically" and use DNS server addresses of 207.217.77.82 or 207.217.120.83 . Since Earthlink uses PPPoE I need to know how to set up the equivalent in Knoppix - Can anyone help me out ? Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Try with pppoeconf in terminal, as root. Is your modem with USB or Ethernet conection?There is something like "ADSL setup" in some of the options on panel.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    Connecting to the net continued...

    After advice from several sources said "go buy a router" a trip to CompUSA produced a store brand wired router/print server - which after some fiddling with allows me to get out on the net with anything EXCEPT the Earthlink TA2005 software. Firefox, IE, and all other apps seem to get out OK. Now if the DHCP server function will work with my Knoppix distro maybe I can make some progress with using Knoppix ! I'll let you know.

    Thanks,

    Alice R.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Connecting to the net continued...

    Quote Originally Posted by slvrldy17
    ... which after some fiddling with allows me to get out on the net with anything EXCEPT the Earthlink TA2005 software. Firefox, IE, and all other apps seem to get out OK. Now if the DHCP server function will work with my Knoppix distro maybe I can make some progress with using Knoppix ! I'll let you know.....
    Congratulations on getting a router, I expect it will work out well for you.

    What is Earthlink TA2005? If it's PPPoE software for windows than you don't need it when using a router, with Linux or Windows. The router takes care of PPPoE for you. You should be able to remove any PPPoE software that you ran under Windows (a good idea for both performance and stability). If it's something else let us know what it is and maybe we can help. Obviously Linux can't run Windows applications without the help of a program like wine.

    If you have booted Knoppix with the router you should know if DHCP worked for you. Keep us posted.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    TA 2005

    TA 2005 is Earthlinks current version connection software and e-mail client - I'm not too worried about the connection stuff which covers everything from dial up to DSL to Home/Office networks but unless I can get it working I'll need to install a new mail client - probably Thunderbird - in order to download my e-mail on that account. I can still access it via web mail but would prefer to be able to download given the limits on the storage on Earthlinks server. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to their customer service rep - if I can get one the speaks understandable English.

    Thanks,

    Alice R.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: TA 2005

    Quote Originally Posted by slvrldy17
    Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to their customer service rep - if I can get one the speaks understandable English.
    Slim chance of that, even less of a chance of getting one that doesn't cry or just say "we don't support Linux" and hang up. I did a bit of searching and TA 2005 doesn't seem to make anyone very happy; why use it when there are good clients available? Tbird is certainly one option. Feel free to try Earthlink, but I expect that you'll get better results here.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    TA 2005 cont.

    After talking to a live rep at Earthlink support I can now report that the TA2005 software works - it had to have the needed connection settings entered manually in order to be able to find/connect with the network card and router. No problems with using Linux either - since it was a connection issue in Windows the subject did not come up and I saw no reason to raise it. Overall, I'd rate the responce to the problem quite good. Now maybe I can make some progress with Knoppix! I'll keep you posted.

    Thanks,

    Alice R.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    Success !

    Made a trial run to see if it would be possible to get on the net thru Knoppix - everything appears to work and I'm using Firefox now to reach the forum and write this. Don't have the time right now to do much exploring or setting up but next time in I'll be setting up the Persistant disc image on a hard drive partion that I've set aside for the purpose. Since I've allotted 10GB of space for this I should have room for awhile at least. Am planning to have Knoppix image on the hard drive to free up the CD drive so need to know what order to set this up in and what cheat code or codes to use on booting up to use the persistant disc image and the Knoppix image together when starting up.

    Thanks,

    Alice R.

Similar Threads

  1. connecting to internet
    By alok in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 01:07 AM
  2. Connecting To The Internet
    By -=Unstoppable=- in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 10:12 PM
  3. Connecting to the internet
    By Bluebones in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
  4. allow connecting the internet
    By P.Enguin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
  5. Connecting to the internet
    By Realyze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99