-
booting knoppix from hd
Hi,
I am trying to use Knoppix wit very litle success. My win98se PC can't boot from the CD, so I am trying to follow the instructions for booting into Knoppix. But:
1) I am supposed to find a "boot.img" file in the knoppix folder, but there is no such file there!!!
2) How can I create a boot floppy under win98se? Can it be less than 1.2MB?
Can anybody help?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
this is covered in the FAQ, see answer #1.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Re: booting knoppix from hd

Originally Posted by
rrr
I am trying to use Knoppix wit very litle success. My win98se PC can't boot from the CD... Can anybody help?
If you have downloaded the Knoppix 4.02 cd ISO image, you actually don't need to burn this file on a CD
nor to have a CD-Rom bootable bios to boot from it, there is another way:
Some people call it the "poor man install", some other the "power man install"...
This is a way allowing to boot from the ISO cd or dvd image file stored in your hdd (ntfs, fat, ext, reiser, ...), cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd
except that it boots way faster and obviously you don't need a cd/DVD reader, nor a cd bootable bios.
Since you have win98se, you most likely have a fat32 partition and you can still boot in dos mode.
From there you can run grub.exe (or eventually loadlin.exe) which will load
the linux kernel and boot ramdisk, and finally boot knoppix as it will boot from the cd.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
-
Re: booting knoppix from hd

Originally Posted by
rrr
Hi,
I am trying to use Knoppix wit very litle success. My win98se PC can't boot from the CD,
why not ?
so I am trying to follow the instructions for booting into Knoppix. But:
1) I am supposed to find a "boot.img" file in the knoppix folder, but there is no such file there!!!
2) How can I create a boot floppy under win98se? Can it be less than 1.2MB?
Can anybody help?
1) you are not supposed to find a boot.img file
2) use the tohd= cheatcode (Read the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt file on CDROM in /KNOPPIX Dir)
Similar Threads
-
By Zapper in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
-
By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By MavetLaAravim in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-04-2004, 04:58 AM
-
By p3 in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 09-17-2003, 09:01 PM
-
By Mindfield in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95