Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix saves the day

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    Knoppix saves the day

    I got this Dell laptop running winxp. I use it primarily to run the Garmin car
    navigation system.

    The other day an app got hung and I had to shut the machine off to get out of it.

    When I powered back up the keyboard had problems. Certain keys, when pressed, would
    produce double entries of different characters than the one pressed.

    The symptom persisted over several reboots. I ran Dell diagnostics which is independent of windows and it flagged that set of keys as being bad. Said it was a hardware issue. I called Dell tech support and they agreed to send me a new keyboard.

    When the keyboard arrived, before installing same I decided to give the pc one more try. Only this time I loaded up my Knoppix 4.02 dvd. System behaved beautifully, no keyboard problem of any kind. Couldn't believe my eyes. I then rebooted into winxp os. Keyboard worked perfectly, no problems. I mailed the new keyboard back to Dell.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Great story! Next time, sell the replacement KB on eBay!
    ::evil grin::

Similar Threads

  1. Puppy Linux saves to CD-R !
    By rsmanyan in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
  2. Knoppix setting saves and more...
    By Flitt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 12:42 AM
  4. Knoppix Saves The Data!
    By k.otaku in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 04:07 PM
  5. Knoppix saves my company money!
    By Stonent in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95