-
Junior Member
registered user
New to Linux
Hello, I just finished downloading Knoppix and have a few questions.
My main computer is a laptop. My Desktop used to be my main computer until I had a big failure.
On the desktop, I had a 6GB hard disk installed. Then I installed Windows XP Pro on this drive. When I got a new drive, I used Partition Magic to image the 6GB drive onto the 30GB drive. This created a C:\ partition and a D:\ partition. At first everything was fine. At some point later, I had to reinstall Windows. It reinstalled successfully, but because the D:\ partition was NTFS at the time of the reinstall, I can no longer access the D:\ partition. I had very important files on that D:\ partition, and have been trying to recover those files with no success. I tried installing a second hard drive with XP installed and set as the main drive, and set the 30GB drive to slave status. But that didn't help either.
So when I found out that you could recover files from bad partitions using Linux, I thought I'd give it a try. But since I'm a newbie, I don't want to screw up my desktop any more than it already is.
Is it possible to access a damaged/unreadable (at least to Windows) NTFS partition via Linux?
Similar Threads
-
By blokk.m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM
-
By skitzojase in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
-
By Jakykong in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$452.53

1TB 2TB 4TB Portable SSD Type-C External Hard Drive USB 3.1 High Speed PC
$15.99

Western Digital PC SN8000S 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 SSD
$105.00