-
Hi Harry
Ok, I am sorry that I misundestood your post.
Here is configurations after restarting my PC.
[root@localhost ~]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40
0:75:41:1E
inet addr:133.19.25.220 Bcast:133.19.25.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::240:d0ff:fe75:411e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:406 (406.0 b)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0x6300
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:1904 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1904 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2703238 (2.5 MiB) TX bytes:2703238 (2.5 MiB)
I didn't change anything.
Please excuse me that I don't know much about networking.
So I can't tell you anything. Right now I am using Windows XP
to connect to internet. Is there any way to explore my lab's network
from Windows. If so, I would do it.
Thanks
Bataa
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Bataa
I don't know much about networking.
So I can't tell you anything. Right now I am using Windows XP
to connect to internet. Is there any way to explore my lab's network
from Windows. If so, I would do it.
Well, still nothing looks wrong, but you are again showing a public address, not one that is behind a NAT router. This, of course, may be perfectly fine. And I still can't tell you much without knowing about the makup of the network.
I can see (only by the virtue of bing a moderator here) that the IP address that you access the Knoppix website is not the same IP address as you show in the above ifconfig. If your windows box is a different system that is fine (it's in the same IP range), but if it's the same box I would have expected you to use the same IP address in your manual setup.
There are plenty of tools that run under windows that let you snoop around a network. Ethereal is available for windows and Linux, comes with Knoppix, and is one of my favorites. There are many others. But this is not information you should gain that way and many network administrators have valid concerns about people poking around a network that way. Since it seems that you are not the person in charge of the network I would suggest that you try to get this information from the person who is. You may even find that they will be quite helpful in getting your Knoppix system configured and can spot the problem more quickly than an outsider.
I had hoped that your last post would address the question of what happens of you try to ping a numeric IP address rather than an anphanumeric URL. If you post again please run that test and let us know.
-
Dear Harry
At last I managed to work my network card in my lab.
I searched the internet for my network card driver for
Linux, after knowing the driver information from Windows.
It was "ULi M5263 10/100M Ethernet Controller".
And I got the corresponding driver from Uli Electronics.
They required me to recompile the kernel, and I did it
somehow according to nice tutorials on the internet.
But when I come back my home, and plugging ADSL
cable, it didn't connect. I changed the hardware
configuration to "Automatically detect IP addresses".
So the ifconfig results:
[root@localhost ~]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40
0:75:41:1E
inet addr:172.17.0.100 Bcast:172.17.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::240:d0ff:fe75:411e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:342 (342.0 b) TX bytes:536 (536.0 b)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0xe000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:1465 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1465 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1656370 (1.5 MiB) TX bytes:1656370 (1.5 MiB)
I pinged the numerical addresses. But it says "network is unreachable."
Thanks
Bataa
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Bataa
.....And I got the corresponding driver from Uli Electronics.
They required me to recompile the kernel, and I did it
somehow according to nice tutorials on the internet.
But when I come back my home, and plugging ADSL
cable, ....
Clearly Knoppix can't have all of the newest drivers for all of the newest network interfaces, particularly since the current version is several months old, so if you have something exotic it's not a shock that Knoppix can't use it, although it wasn't at all clear that this was happening from your previous posts.
However, even if you can manage to recompile the kernel, I don't see how this will do you any good when booting from a Knoppix Live CD. And if you have been talking about a Knoppix "hard disk install" all of this time you have been wasting both of our time and my good will by not mentioning that. This may be a slight over statement, but from what I see in these forums a Knoppix Hard Disk Install never works correctly in accessng the Internet. It is the number one complaint by people who insist on doing a hard disk install and has been going on for years. If you want to install Linux use Debian or another distro intended for hard disk, not the Knoppix Live CD.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By solbergg in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
-
By Styfir in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
-
By metallica22 in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-22-2005, 06:08 AM
-
By laba in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 10:38 PM
-
By ePro in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5
$375.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested
$54.50

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00

Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR
$14.99

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00