Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix V4 and wired card configuration

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41

    Knoppix V4 and wired card configuration

    I tried to configure wired card to access the net,,,what I did :

    Start Menu--> Knoppix--> Network/Internet--> Network Card Configuration , then I received small winodws called "Xdialog"

    Use DHCP broadcast----> I answered "Yes" -----( i tried at different places at work) with some places it is ok,,with the other places within same building it failed,,,,Is there any reason for that ?

    Am I doing the right thing ?

    Do I need to be aware of something elase ?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix V4 and wired card configuration

    Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    Use DHCP broadcast----> I answered "Yes" -----( i tried at different places at work) with some places it is ok,,with the other places within same building it failed,,,,Is there any reason for that ?
    DHCP requires a DHCP server at boot time that will give your computer some network configuration information. This is usually a part of a router although it can be done other ways. We have no way of knowing what you have at work or how it is configured. Your questions and lack of technical detail indicate that you likely don't have this information; I would suggest discussing it with someone in your IT / technical department at work.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41
    In all these different places I can access the internet wirelessly through winodws OS,,,,If I can do it through winodws,,,shouldn't I be able to access through Knoppix as well ?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by zillah
    In all these different places I can access the internet wirelessly through winodws OS,,,,If I can do it through winodws,,,shouldn't I be able to access through Knoppix as well ?
    I have no idea what you are connecting to wirelessly, it could even be another company in the same building running a wireless router. You can't expect Knoppix to connect wirelessly, when many wireless card makers will not supply drivers for anything except windows or even give out technical details on the hardware to allow Linux drivers to be written. Some wireless hardware is supported, but it's only a small percentage.

    So that gets me back to my advice for your wired connection; talk to your IT department about what's different when you try to connect from the different locations.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 6.3 Live CD Wired Connection
    By jaques1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
  3. Strange problem with network card (wired ethernet)
    By rolfhub in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 10:21 PM
  4. Knoppix V4 and Wireless card configuration
    By zillah in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM
  5. PCMCIA wired network card problem
    By davidparis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30