-
removal of linux distro from hard drive using Knoppix live
Hi,
I have the Knoppix live DVD. I've made a mess of partitioning my hard drive and can now only boot from one Linux distro, instead of the two I have on it, plus Windows XP.
If I can remove the latest distro I put on it, I think things will return to normal. Can I do this using my Knoppix disc, please?
-
Senior Member
registered user
removal of linux distro from hard drive using Knoppix live
Removal of a GNU/Linux distro is nothing more complicated than simply removing the filesystem or deleting the partition and adjusting your boot loader to no longer reference it. Which brings me to the second point: I do not know your disk structure, but, can surmise that if you do indeed have two distros on separate partitions plus windoze, it is your boot loader that needs to be editted to reflect all of your installed operating systems. Search here for grub issues or look at the file /boot/grub/menu.lst in your Linux distro. Ahhh.. and this is where your problem probably is, as you now have two of these files and need to determine which one is being referenced by your boot loader and correctly edit it (and get rid of the one that is not being used). Don't even keep it for a backup as it will just cause confusion.
-
Hello Nad,
Thanks for your reply. I've been up all night playing with this and may have messed it up further. What I subsequently did was manage to delete the partition on which I had the troublesome distro. I thought I'd cracked it but when I boot up now I get the following:
'Minimal bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists the possible command options. Anywhere else, TAB lists the possible completion of a file name.
Grub_
I've no GUI at all. I tried a TAB entry which I thought might be relevant but was told the path was incomplete, or something.
My Windows and first distro (Libranet) is still there on the hard drive, I just can't access it. Any ideas? I used an old Partition Magic rescue disk to delete the offending partition but it won't do anything, apparently, with Linux.
I'm going to bed now
Best
-
Senior Member
registered user
removal of linux distro from hard drive using Knoppix live
You have discovered the joys of the grub shell. man grub . Grub indeed does not know where to find its' configuration file. Search here for grub issues and with a few simple commands( find and install, or is it setup these days?) you will be back in action. It is a little intimidating at first, but, you are simply at the command line of a shell designed to help you sort out your boot sequence.
-
Hello Nad,
Well I was up all last night poncing about with Grub and in the end decided to wipe the disk and re-install everything. Luckily enough I had some backup, but not enough, and this has taught me a lesson.
My XP and Libranet have re-installed okay. All I need now is an answer to my thread on my Oki printer and I'll be able to use Knoppix and leave the hard drive alone altogether. I think this a great idea and hope I can get Knoppix going.
Thanks very much for your replies.
Similar Threads
-
By alisoncolette in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
-
By Supergrover in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
-
By Ekoi Panot in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-13-2006, 10:25 PM
-
By husalah5150 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
-
By ishaim in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF + 2SFF 2x10/1Gbe H730 Mini 2x 750W Server
$348.00

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00