Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Questions on setting up a Persistant Hard drive image

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    Questions on setting up a Persistant Hard drive image

    Now that I've gotten Knoppix to work and connect to the net I need to do a couple of other things to finish setting up for regular use. I am using Knoppix version 4.0.2. First off, I have available on my hard drive a FAT formatted 10GB partition that can be dedicated to Knoppix/Linux use. Since I would prefer to free up my CD drive I need to transfer the Knoppix image to that hard drive partition and use the boot time cheat code. Am I correct in thinking that this should be done before I set up the persistant disc image/home directory with the persistant image using only the space remaining after transferring the Knoppix image? How to best go about this? Use a single partition or divide it into two? Second, when booting the system should the cheat codes for FromHD and Home=scan be entered separately or combined and if combined what would be the correct format?

    Thanks,

    Alice R.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245

    Re: Questions on setting up a Persistant Hard drive image

    To create a persistant image use the 'tohd' cheatcode, and then the 'fromhd' one. To have the remaining hd space avaible for persistent home (or other data) you have to create a separate partition because knoppix mount in read_only mode the which one that contain knoppix loop image.
    Cheatcodes have to be typed in a way like this **knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 config=scan lang=en** therefore separatly.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17

    Persistant Image success...

    Partly in the interest of keeping things simple and because a friend has given me a stand alone CD burner thus making freeing up the CD drive a moot point I've successfully run the mkimage script and am kind of glad I didn't try to divide that 10GB partition that I set aside for it - The image as it stands now is well over 4GB and will grow as I customize and add things to the basic Knoppix setup - better some growing room! Thanks to all who offered advice and answers when I needed them.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
  2. Help to restore a dd image file back to the hard drive
    By BrianC in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM
  3. Questions after hard drive install and /mnt directory.
    By rstoeck in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 05:49 AM
  4. Question about hard drive image
    By punkass in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. Saving mozilla config to persistant hard drive
    By bruceg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$49.99