-
Senior Member
registered user
Dpkg default directory
Where is the default directory installed packages go if you use dpkg to install them, I assume it would be the home directory which is in the ram disk, but I want to be sure, just to be safe because I am not planning on installing on a persistant drive, I just want experience with installing a package and proof of concept
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have not tried this myself, but I think this could be the way to go:
dpkg -x /path/to/pkg.deb /some/directory # eXtract contents to /some/directory
DESTDIR=/some/directory
export MANPATH=$DESTDIR/man:$DESTDIR/usr/share/man:$MANPATH
export PATH=$DESTDIR/bin:$DESTDIR/usr/bin:$PATH #ok, sbin too, perhaps
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DESTDIR/lib:$DESTDIR/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the reply, but before I give it a try, one question the shell variables that you are exporting to be global, how does knoppix use those variables to extablish a man page link and the ability to open the application from the terminal, I'm a little rusty with how shell variables work
-
Senior Member
registered user
This has nothing to do with knoppix, it's just that the shell (bash, usually)
looks for these variables in order to know where to look for executables,
man pages, and libraries. The variables have to be "exported" so they will
be part of the environment that gets copied to children processes.
(And, to complete this mini-lesson, that is why a child process cannot hand
a changed variable back to its parent process: this is only a copy that gets
dropped when the child finishes.)
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-07-2007, 11:20 AM
-
By Nitromethane1261 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Qty.8 Samsung 16GB 2RX4 Pc4 2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q Ram Memory
$599.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4" 128GB Gray WiFi Tablet w/ S Pen SM-X610NZACXAR
$399.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00