-
Deleting root password on Fedora partition
Hi
I am attempting to delete the root password on my Fedora Core partition from Knoppix. Root is the only user account on the partition and after having been a few months since I have used it, I have forgotten the password.
To do this I need to edit the "shadow" file located in /mnt/sda3/etc/ However I noticed in Konqueror that this file has a lock on it. I used the "root shell" on the penguin icon on the taskbar and opened the "shadow" file using the "vi" command in the console. It displays the line that I need to edit but it won't let me write to the file! Then I noticed that Knoppix will not let me edit ANYTHING on the hardrive anywhere! Not even a damn text file on my windows partition! Even if I changed the persmission option using the right click option.
I thought one of the primary purposes of Knoppix was for recovery, what good is this if you can't write to the hard drive
This reminds me of using a Mac, the level of child proofing is horrible
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By abeza in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
-
By DRYICE in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM
-
By Tiepo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
-
By stol in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72