Any idea ?
I was trying to use cfdusk to create partition within a hard disk,,,,I could not create extended primary partition, though the tag (label) 0x05 for extended is available.
How can I do that ? Is 05 is for this purpose or for something else ?
Any idea ?
You need to create an extended partition first and then a logical partition within. This excersie is moot unless you are acting as root. Also, manipulating a mounted drive is dangerous.
Please post the output of: parted /dev/designation print
How can I creat this,,,this is my origin thread about it ?You need to create an extended partition
We need more information regarding your current disk structure and your exact actions in order to assist you.
I have already created two primary partitions on a hard disk and I want to create extended primary on this hard disk as well.
How can I do that ?
In a terminal window shell, enter the command: parted /dev/your_hard_drive_here print . Please post the output.
We need more information regarding your current disk structure and your exact actions in order to assist you.
I created the partitions on both hard disks by using system commander V9.0 utility,,,,then I used knoppix cfdisk utility to check both hard diks and the output was :
[root@0[knoppix]# parted /dev/hdb print
Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
Ignore/Cancel? ignore
[root@0[knoppix]# parted /dev/hda printCode:Disk geometry for /UNIONFS/dev/hdb: 0.000-38166.679 megabytes Disk label type: msdos Minor Start End Type Filesystem Flags 2 9536.625 12397.710 primary lba 3 12401.741 38162.219 extended lba 5 12401.771 12605.690 logical ext3 boot 6 12605.722 21603.032 logical ext3 7 21603.063 21861.892 logical linux-swap Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.
Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table, because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,but ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
Ignore/Cancel? ignore
Note: Since I failed to create extended partition on the above PC, and I am looking to use cfdisk to partition another HD on another PC , therefore I raised my thread here.Code:Disk geometry for /UNIONFS/dev/hda: 0.000-38162.250 megabytes Disk label type: msdos Minor Start End Type Filesystem Flags 1 0.031 14998.183 primary ntfs boot 2 14998.184 17994.682 primary fat32 lba 3 17994.683 38162.219 primary ntfs Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.
Why did I receive the above warning message ?
Any idea or help ?
Let's see the output of yourOriginally Posted by zillah
$ sudo cfdisk
Which HDD are you having trouble with ???Code:cfdisk 2.12p Disk Drive: /dev/hda Size: 82348277760 bytes, 82.3 GB Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 10011 Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ hda1 Boot Primary W95 FAT32 (LBA) 10487.24 hda5 Logical W95 FAT32 15734.97 hda6 Logical W95 FAT32 7871.60 hda7 Logical Linux ext3 [/] 5502.72 hda8 Logical Linux swap / Solaris 1497.01 hda9 Logical Linux ext3 [/home] 5000.98 hda10 Logical Linux ext3 [/usr] 10001.95 hda11 Logical Linux ext3 [/var] 10001.95 Pri/Log Free Space 16244.93 [Bootable] [ Delete ] [ Help ] [Maximize] [ Print ] [ Quit ] [ Type ] [ Units ] [ Write ] Toggle bootable flag of the current partition
Any other partitioning tool will not use the same scheme and cause errors
For where NTFS is installed and active, use QTparted
and also post the output of
$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda (or hdb, whichever the prob is)
you ARE doing this from a LiveCD....yes ?
If not - boot to LiveCD using Knoppix26 1
then leave off 'sudo' in the commands above - you'll be root already (pretty sure)
OH.....BTW -- if you're trying for a Win95/98 Extended partition, the ID = 0x0F (Partition hda2 below)
$ sudo cfdisk
then select -> Print
then select -> Table
anyfilename (leave it blank)
Code:Partition Table for /dev/hda ---Starting--- ----Ending---- Start Number of # Flags Head Sect Cyl ID Head Sect Cyl Sector Sectors -- ----- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----------- ----------- 1 0x80 1 1 0 0x0C 254 63 1023 63 20482812 2 0x00 254 63 1023 0x0F 254 63 1023 20482875 108615465 3 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0 4 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0 5 0x00 254 63 1023 0x0B 254 63 1023 63 30732282 6 0x00 254 63 1023 0x0B 254 63 1023 63 15374142 7 0x00 254 63 1023 0x83 254 63 1023 63 10747422 8 0x00 254 63 1023 0x82 254 63 1023 63 2923767 9 0x00 254 63 1023 0x83 254 63 1023 63 9767457 10 0x00 254 63 1023 0x83 254 63 1023 63 19534977 11 0x00 254 63 1023 0x83 254 63 1023 63 19534977

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$345.00
Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$295.00
MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95
Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00
SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested
$119.99
$675.00
Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600
$65.00
MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00