Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix and partitioning hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6

    Knoppix and partitioning hard drive

    Hello All,

    I've got into a bit of a tangle with my hard drive partitions. I now can't boot Windows XP, for instance.

    Can the live Knoppix dvd be used to partition a hard drive, ready for re-installation of Windows and another distro?

    Any info on how to do this would be gratefully received.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Not quite sure about this, I am going from memory here, I dont run any form of M$ Windows, strictly Linux, but....

    As far as I know, it is always best to use a Linux formatter/partitioner for Linux partitions, and Windows for Windows... i.e. cfdisk for Linux, fdisk for Windows...

    As for a trashed "Windows" install, you might want to post, or troll, the "Windows" Forum for answers.

    I have many friends that have, say, XP and at least one, to as many as three, Linux Distro's all capable of booting, on the same system. I, myself, had Knoppix and Win98 running on a dual hard drive install... From what I hear, I could be wrong, is, that, Windows should be installed first, and running, then, you go after installing your Linux. Not sure why, other than the fact that Windows cant see Linux, but, Linux can see Windows... NTFS partitions are not harmonious with Linux, if you plan to have Windows and Linux "co-exist", NTFS should not be used...

    Not really sure if this has helped, but, I try
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    > From what I hear, I could be wrong, is, that, Windows should be installed first, and running, then, you go after installing your Linux. Not sure why

    --Windoze tends to overwrite the MBR (master boot record) of the HD, and make the Windoze partition active. Which (unless you have a Linux Lilo/Grub boot disk already made) renders Linux unbootable, and in any case you would have to re-do Lilo/Grub.

    --One of many reasons I recommend installing Linux on a separate HD or VM (virtual machine), rather than dual-booting from the same drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Not quite sure about this, I am going from memory here, I dont run any form of M$ Windows, strictly Linux, but....

    As far as I know, it is always best to use a Linux formatter/partitioner for Linux partitions, and Windows for Windows... i.e. cfdisk for Linux, fdisk for Windows...

    As for a trashed "Windows" install, you might want to post, or troll, the "Windows" Forum for answers.

    I have many friends that have, say, XP and at least one, to as many as three, Linux Distro's all capable of booting, on the same system. I, myself, had Knoppix and Win98 running on a dual hard drive install... From what I hear, I could be wrong, is, that, Windows should be installed first, and running, then, you go after installing your Linux. Not sure why, other than the fact that Windows cant see Linux, but, Linux can see Windows... NTFS partitions are not harmonious with Linux, if you plan to have Windows and Linux "co-exist", NTFS should not be used...

    Not really sure if this has helped, but, I try
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6
    Hi Guys,

    Thanks for your replies. Quite by chance while I was playing about with Knoppix, I found I could use QTParted, the disc partitioning tool, from the run command. This has fixed my problem. Wish everything went as easily!

    Best wishes,

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning Hard Drives
    By gcrabb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
  2. Partitioning/Reformatting hard drive issues
    By vierdreieins in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 05:52 AM
  3. hard drive partitioning error
    By lbthrice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 01:53 AM
  4. Partitioning scheme for 2 distros on 1 hard disk
    By net_benjo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
  5. hard drive install with no partitioning
    By jc01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Intel S2600TP 4-Node 32 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2630 v3, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W picture

Intel S2600TP 4-Node 32 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2630 v3, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W

$1685.00



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Intel S2600TP 4-Node 64 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2620 v4, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W picture

Intel S2600TP 4-Node 64 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2620 v4, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W

$1785.00



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08