-
Flash Drive not showing up on Knoppix 4.0 HD install
Hi Everyone,
I am having trouble with my Flash drive showing up on my desktop with Knoppix 4.0 installed on the Hard Drive. I have the USB Flash Drive attached when I start it up, but nothing comes up. The Flash Drive only shows up when I run the Knoppix 4.0 Live CD. I have searched the forums, and I saw one post similar to mine with a few helpful hints, but it does not work. Could someone please help? Thanks!
Randy
-
Senior Member
registered user
Flash Drive not showing up on Knoppix 4.0 HD install
At a terminal prompt: dmesg | grep -i sd ; and: dmesg | grep -i ub
What "helpful hints" have you already tried?
-
Hello everyone,
I've recently installed Knoppix 4.0.1 on my hdd even though I've seen on some forums that this decision is not too wise. They warned about the fact that features that work perfectly when running the live cd may not work at all when installing knoppix on hdd.
Immediately after the end of the installation process I met some inconvenients.
The funniest one is that the language used to display the login messages changed without me interfering. I guess that now the language is Turkish.
Another problem is with the flash drive (Kingston 128 MB) that was detected before but now it isn't
Here are the messages I got after typing "dmesg | grep -i sd" and "dmesg | grep -i ub":
ACPI: RSDP (v000 Nvidia ) @ 0x000f6d30
ACPI: RSDT (v001 Nvidia AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x01010101) @ 0x3fff3000
ACPI: DSDT (v001 NVIDIA AWRDACPI 0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000c) @ 0x00000000
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=791
SCSI device sda: 390719855 512-byte hdwr sectors (200049 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
SCSI device sda: 390719855 512-byte hdwr sectors (200049 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
Adding 2096472k swap on /dev/sda4. Priority:-1 extents:1
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
SCSI device sdb: 251904 512-byte hdwr sectors (129 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 251904 512-byte hdwr sectors (129 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: sdb1
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20050309
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.HUB0._PRT]
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUBA] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12 14 15)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUBB] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUB2] (IRQs 3 4 *5 7 9 10 11 12 14 15)
SCSI subsystem initialized
HUB0 XVR0 XVR1 XVR2 XVR3 USB0 USB2 MMAC MMCI UAR1
usbcore: registered new driver hub
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 10 ports detected
eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01458:e000 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 10 ports detected
I assumed sdb is the flash drive so I typed:
mount sdb -t vfat /mnt/test
and the response was:
mount: special device sdb does not exist.
I don't know what else to do so please give me a hint if you can.
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Flash Drive not showing up on Knoppix 4.0 HD install
" mount sdb -t vfat /mnt/test "
The above line should read: mount /dev/sdb1 -t vfat /mnt/test
The directory /mnt/test must already exist.
FYI filesystems are mounted, not devices. Your memory device is /dev/sdb . The only filesystem recognized in it ( "sdb: sdb1" ) is at /dev/sdb1 .
-
Thank you
Thank you very much. I mounted the flash drive and it's working fine.
Forums are a lot better than all those cumbersome manuals in which you never find what you need.
Similar Threads
-
By Tru7h in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
-
By Dood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-20-2006, 08:13 AM
-
By etabeta in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 10:40 PM
-
By monckywrench in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 02:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50